GRRRR... move right for sirens and lights!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kalvyn

Reaction score
To all you yahoos that don't: I hope the ambulance you're in when you're dying gets held up by others like you.

Thanks, I feel better now!

Jimmie

Have to agree with you 100%. It is amazing how many people don't pull over, or even know they are supposed to!

In a crowd of people, 80% believe that they are better than average drivers, which, of course is impossible. The 20% that are so bad that they know it, move to Seattle (Except you, Jimmy :wink: ).

Yep, it irks me to. There are quite a few people around here who just keep truckin when an ambulance is trying to pass.

I must admit I have done this twice before. First time wasn't really this situation. Ambulance comes up behind, I pull over, it goes around. Five minutes later I think: Hmm, wonder why that guy back there has his caution lights on and is tailgating? A second later: Oh. Woops. I pull over and he goes on after the ambulance.

Second time: Coming back from getting tanks, so I've got two 95s pumped to 3100 in the back seat of an Explorer. (Not a good place for them) As I'm about 300 feet from the top of a hill, an ambulance comes to the end of the drive at the top of the hill. Sun is in my eyes, can't hear his siren and cant see his lights until I'm about 250 feet away. Then it's too late to stop without sending the tanks through the windshield. So I speed up a little to get on by, and as I go by I notice one guy is giving me the 'you're #1' sign, and the other is waving for me to GET ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD ON A BLIND HILL. That kinda irked me cause what if a car was coming? Then they woulda had 3+ hurt/dead people to deal with. Anyway....

Phewww. Now my blood pressure is up!

Its not always the right hand lane, i was driving in NYC the other week and they put them down the middle lane, so that everyone on the right moves further right and those on the left go further left - parting of the waves.

I always pull over when they get within about 50yds or so behind me and let them pass - this always seems to happen in the built up part of town in a 30mph zone. However, i then seem to find that even with an open road and the speed limit that is above 30mph, that they cant go over 30mph, however urgent the case might be that they are transporting. I usually end up having to follow them a bunch before they pull off the road toward their destination, not overtaking them out of respect even though the speed limit would allow me to do so - why dont/cant fire trucks and ambulances drive any faster? Are they too heavy, underpowered, have they got limiters on their engines or laws they have to abide by? I have seen them in the UK doing 70mph or more on "interstate-like" motorways, but here i might hear a siren and see some lights coming on a ramp behind me, but unless the traffic is really backed up it seems the ambulance/fire truck just gets left behind due to its slow speed with a chasm of space in front of them from others not wanting to overtake the emergency vehicles, but them not going as fast as vehicles way in front - i just dont get it, this isnt a whine about them, just wondering why they go so slow if there is an emergency. Maybe its just an Orlando thing?

All the ones around here do their allowed +10 mph speed and then some. Fire trucks depend on the department. I'm not sure the local volunteer ones could get over 70, but the other local town's new truck could (and does) go sufficiently fast.

Those fire guys, they're good guys. Saved my house!

Last week I was at a store in my neighborhood, the parking lot is opposite of a fire station and on a small hill, so I had a great view of what was unfolding. As I was getting into my car I heard the alarm going off at the station. As a rescue squad vehicle tried to get through traffic I just got so angry. MORONS ignoring the sirens and lights, driving like the emergency vehicle wasn't there. Not just at the intersection, but also as the squad tried going down the road.

Now, unless the local PD decides to have cop car ride behind the emergency vehicles things will not get better.

One thought, I think in the video security world there is a quad spilt unit that lets you take four video camera feeds and record them simultaneously on one video tape. Install four cameras on emergency vehicles, one pointing out each direction. I wonder if the courts would admit that as evidence?

simbrooks:
I usually end up having to follow them a bunch before they pull off the road toward their destination, not overtaking them out of respect even though the speed limit would allow me to do so - why dont/cant fire trucks and ambulances drive any faster? Are they too heavy, underpowered, have they got limiters on their engines or laws they have to abide by? I have seen them in the UK doing 70mph or more on "interstate-like" motorways, but here i might hear a siren and see some lights coming on a ramp behind me, but unless the traffic is really backed up it seems the ambulance/fire truck just gets left behind due to its slow speed with a chasm of space in front of them from others not wanting to overtake the emergency vehicles, but them not going as fast as vehicles way in front - i just dont get it, this isnt a whine about them, just wondering why they go so slow if there is an emergency. Maybe its just an Orlando thing?

I spent the better part of 10 years in the local PD. You often drive slower because you never know which idiot is going to stop in front of you or pull out in your lane when they see the nice lane of traffic with no cars.

When I lived in Boston they had it down to a fine art ... they'd pull over, and as soon as the ambulance passed they'd pull in behind and "draft" a few inches off his bumper ... letting the ambulance clear the lane for all the cars tailgating behind it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That reminds me of being at Clark AB Phillipines. One afternoon we wanted to go see a movie at the Family Theater downtown Angeles City. We were late so we got a "Special Jeepney". An ambulance came off base and headed downtown. Immediately all special jeepneys filed in behind the ambulance. We made it from checkpoint to the Family Theater in five minutes flat. What an e-ticket ride.

Seriously though. I was a paramedic in my younger days and have red lights in my blood. I always try and respect right of way for them. But - here in Montgomery - if you pull over for an EV you have to contend on never getting back into traffic with all the fools on his tail that won't let you back in.

Maybe we should go to the system in Germany - if you delay a fire truck or ambulance you are liable for any damage that may have escalated becuase of your hindrance.

There is no solution to this - the general public is a collective fool no matter where you go.

Back
Top Bottom