Group Learn to Dive Vacatiion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron Brandt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Has anyone on here ever gone on an exclusive "learn to Dive vacation adventure" before ?

Does anybody think it would be fun?

I am planning on running a group tour to Cozumel sometime in early 2004.Trip would be advertised locally.(on the net later,maybe)

I do not want to get in too far before I get some feedback.

I would be tour guide and instructor.One assistant. 8 people with the desire to learn to dive.

Any feedback,ideas,experiences would be much appreciated.

Ron

but be certain to be clear what the labor laws are in the destination country. You may be required to obtain a temporary work permit.

Failure to obtain a work permit, if required, may prevent you from returning to that country without extreme aggravation, if "caught". Some local operators do not take kindly to vacationing instructors teaching without documentation and may be prone to reporting you. After all, they usually have to spend big bucks for work permits for their employees.

We allow Instructors to teach there own students when visiting Belize they simply pay for boat services and air etc and they conduct the training (No permit required) its a win win as they stay at the resort and purchase diving services but also have ht eopportunity to teach themselves.

I do not know what the regulations are in Cozumel though so check with your diveshop there

Dive Safe

Gaz

Failure to obtain a work permit, if required, may prevent you from returning to that country without extreme aggravation, if "caught". Some local operators do not take kindly to vacationing instructors teaching without documentation and may be prone to reporting you. After all, they usually have to spend big bucks for work permits for their employees.

Drew,I have never heard or thought about that.

Let's see , I am taking people to another country that may or probably never gone to in the first place , buying boat trips,rental gear,hotels,food....

But I could see if I were to go somewhere and just "set up shop"
for a couple of weeks and snag people off the street.
Yes,technically,that is stealing business from the locals and a permit would definately be required.

I have known several instructors that have taken their students all over the world to do their "check out dives" and never had a problem.

Since you are in Cayman and I am considering that an alturnative
what are the laws there ?

Thanks
Ron

even musical performers passing through for a single show are required to get a temporary work permit. I assume that technically, a visiting instructor should get a permit as well.

All foreign nationals must work under the terms of a work permit. The permit must apply a certain level of specificity. My permit is to work as a dive instructor, and even though the owner of our business owns other businesses, I cannot fill in in an unrelated capacity such as at his rental car company.

I have no knowledge of dive shops on this island blowing the whistle. I do know that we cannot permit visiting instructors to teach without proof of a work permit. A dive shop thought to be teaching classes with undocumented workers would probably be shut down entirely until the situation could be resolved. Not worth the profit from renting a few tanks and selling a few boat trips.

Ron,
I have lead many group trips over the last 10 years. It truly can be fun and exciting.

A couple of points that may intrest you:

I strongly suggest that you take students to places that you have been before. Your familiarity with the island, the dive sites, operators and marine life will build confidence (and satisfaction) with your travelers. Unfamiliarity, and hesitation can be detrimental. DM and Instructors who live there know the dive sites. If you return to the boat and your students overhear all of the things that the local dm showed thier divers, and your dive was less eventful, your students may lose confidence in you.

If you have never been there, what value can you offer that they could not get from the lds?

Chances are, if you have not dived there, you will need to rely on local dms for briefings.

In order to make these trips happen you need to charge accordingly so that you & your assistant have your expenses covered. In my experience this requires about 6 students per instructor (dm). I find that my target audience is willing to pay a little more for the comfort of knowing that all arrangements are taken care of. New students (and divers) often are unsure about: where to go, who to dive with, where to stay, where to eat etc.. This is where the true value of your presence comes in play.

When we arrive to a destination and the staff (dive, hotel etc.) knows us by name, our clients are impressed.

There are many legal issues as well. Proper documentation. Adding the destination dive center to your "additionally insured" list. A carefully worded contract between you and your customer. There is nothing worse than having a credit card payment reversed (after the trip) because the person is unsatisfied.
People can back out at the last minute too. Be clear on refund policies. Be clear on trip insurance costs. Be clear on who will be held accountable for flight delays, lost vacation time, or accidents that could occur during travel. Immagine getting sued because someone fell down the escalator at the airport.

Of all my tours, only one turned out to be less than satisfactory (for me and my group). This was a trip to a destination that I had not visited before (Sunset House, Grand Cayman). All though the hotel website advertized that renovations of the resort had rescently been completed, upon arrival we found the place to be one big construction site. The rooms were in need of renovation, musty, dirty, poor a/c, cracked windows, etc. The rooms were advertized as "ocen view". However to see the ocean one had to lean far out of the window (with your roomie holding your legs so you wouldn't fall out. There was however a great view of the compressor and rinse tank.

The dive staff (for the most part) shunned us. Treated us like idiots, and IMO were quite rude. I think they felt that we were taking tips out of their pockets. We usually tip the staff handsomely at the weeks end (not in this case tho) Students definatly pick up on these things. Although most problems were out of our control, the impression is reflected on us.

We did not enter this situation blindly. I had communication with Sunset House well in advance via phone and email. We even confirmed 2 days prior to arrival. However, we arrived and they were not expecting us. I don't blame the operator, I blame myself for taking a group to an unfamiliar destination.

On a lighter note. Trips to familiar destinations have been very sucessful. For example, after 19 trips to Aruba, I know all of the dive sites very well. I can preform dive briefings that are (IMO) much more thorough and interesting than the locals. I can provide an intricate tour of the 400ft Antilla wreck. I can direct my customers to quality restaurants and other activities.

I find that it is the little things that make the biggest impression. We usually provide a surprise gift on departure (ie: snorkel light, dry box, customized log book pages etc).Upon check in, each room contains a fruit basket, bottle of wine and a personal card from me. On the last night we arrange a small party for our group which includes dinner and coctails. On one tour I chartered a private 60 foot sail boat for a 2 hour sunset sail, they LOVED it (only cost me 15 bucks per person, but what an impression!)

Also be aware up front that this is a lot of hard work. You need to handle EVERYTHING. It is difficult to stick to a pre-determined schedule. People on vacation tend to want to be somewhat spontaneos. I find myself getting up at 6am and working hard all day. If someone misses one of their training dives, you need to reschedule some time to complete it etc.

I have found that including some topside activites helps as well. (ie: in Bonaire we lead a jeep tour through Washington Slagbaii Natl Park). Often you can receive tremendous deals from car rental companies by reserving well ahead for your group.

I also suggest having each individual fill out an evaluation BEFORE ARRIVING HOME. Ask questions like: What was the best part..., what was the least enjoyable part.., suggestions for future trips, Was the price a good value, would you travel with us again, Was the room satisfactory, etc

Feel free to pm me for additional info. I could sit here an type all day on this subject. But for now, I must go.

Good luck,

Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom