Grocery question ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem in Cozumel is not availability. There are plenty of grocery items, both exotic and mundane, that are available in Cozumel., although not necessarily on a daily or monthly basis.

The problem is food handling.

The reason you sometimes find mold in sealed, yoghurt containers that are well within their expiration dates is that the product was stored somewhere along the supply line in hot, unrefrigerated warehouses for a substantial amount of time. Same problem with "cold meats." The warehouse workers don't always keep these items in cold storage, since they assume that because they are in sealed plastic, they are going to keep from spoiling, as if by magic. Ever open the ice cream? It is almost always melted to a liquid and then refrozen. The question is: for how long was it thawed out? Look at the "frozen" fish, turkey, chicken, etc. Ever notice how it is frozen all out of shape and blood has run into odd parts of the package and refrozen? Again, the question is: How long was it thawed out before it was refrozen? You can buy frozen Cod fillets in sealed packages, thaw them out in the fridge, only to find out they are putrid.

In the US and Canada, the grocery stores often take their soon-to-be-out-of-date poultry and fish and then marinate it, or cook it for their deli. In Cozumel, they wrap it in plastic so you can't smell it.

I wasn't comparing Coz stores with US stores. Who in their right mind would expect a grocery store on Coz to be as well or as consistently stocked as a store in the US, or even in a major city on the mainland of Mexico? I mean, it's an island off the Yucatan--geographically, it really is kind of remote. I was comparing what's available to Coz dwellers with what's available to other island dwellers around the world. You may run out of milk and eggs sometimes, but still I marvel at the fact that they keep your island as well supplied as they do.

Maybe you need a goat and some chickens.

Ah - understood! But if we were really spolied, we would have a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's - or my very favorite TEXAS store - HEB Central Market!

Aagh - El Graduado!!! Quite a(n honest) picture you paint there :-0 I think buying fresh fish & meat at the old Mercado would be safer than trusting frozen. Chef Josefina shops there for all her cooking classes and it never fails for goodness. +1 for the Fisherman's Coop, MMM.

You're kidding right? Hahaa!

Try living here and having to shop year round and having to go to every store to get the basics because one store is literally out of a staple item - like MILK or eggs When they run out of something - they just fill in that space with another random item.

The tourist birdseye view may seem as if we are stocked as well as a US grocery store - but that's not the case at all.

I'm ok with what we are able to get here - after 17 years you adapt and are grateful when a new product arrives - but better stock up on it because once word gets out, it will be gone in a matter of hours and may or may not ever be ordered again!

I was actually once told by a grocery manager at Chedraui when looking for a popular item I had been purchasing for months: "Yeh we stopped carrying that because we sold too much of it and it was hard to keep in stock" :facepalm: Ummm - ok Mr. grocery manager - obviously he took Merchandising, Inventory Control and basic Economics 101

I don't live there, but I'm sure a few of us very frequent visitors have noticed on our many trips, while we love the people or we wouldn't go back, if it's too much effort...well...might not get done. Island life perhaps?

Ah - understood! But if we were really spolied, we would have a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's - or my very favorite TEXAS store - HEB Central Market!

Okay, I'm coming at the end of,July early August. What do you,need from CM? Non perishables.

Okay, I'm coming at the end of,July early August. What do you,need from CM? Non perishables.

Haha! Seriously! Let me think about what I would REALLY REALLY like from there :)

Back
Top Bottom