Grey Nurse Sharks - South East Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adza

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

Does anyone know some good places to go diving with Grey Nurse sharks? I know of Seal Rocks (north of Sydney), but I'm wondering if there's any places further south (The further south, the better - I don't know how far south down the coast they go - but Victoria would be great if their are any there.:14:).

I think the only big sharks in Vic are the great white's - and I'd prefer to give them a miss. :sharkattack: Someone let me know if I'm wrong please. :D

Thanks

Adza

probably a bit far for you, but the wrecks of cape hatteras, north carolina and south to moorehead city are excellent places to see sand tigers.

for sydney

Marubra (Magic point), about 20mins from sydney CBD

Nelson Bay about 2hrs north of sydney

but i THINK they around from from March to August but i could be wrong about this as im not into sharks so generally dont care for these dives

Montague Island near Narooma has GNS. I've dived there in both jan and march and had sharks there. I'm not sure how much further south than that they go.

Mel.b

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. Mel - Narooma looks like a good start. (Well, it's at least 6hrs south from my initial point at Seal Rock, so it's a brilliant start). Can you comment on Montague Island any more. Looks like it has a lot more to offer than just sharks. Were there many seals?

Thanks

Adam.

sharks love seals and thats what Montague is also known for.. not as many seals as in the old days but still plenty to play with

almitywife:
sharks love seals
Especially big mackeral sharks with white bellies:D

Seen some decent size Grey Nurse at Byron Bay(8-10ft). The Guides and rest of the divers didnt see them but my eagle eye never fails me....:D

either the eagle eye or the magic brownies??? :D

not that i would ever condone such irresponsible diving!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom