Greetings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubyDoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Everyone. Im new to the forum, and to Scuba as well. I just recently signed up for my PADI O/W course, which begins in January. As you can see, Im so excited about the world of Scuba, I spend almost all my time online searching and exploring for everything scuba I can find. Im so pleased I found this forum, because Im sure I will have lots of questions for the old scuba salts here. Why dont I go ahead and ask my first question. I have an old mask which I purchased about 10 years ago for a trip to St. Maarten. It is a U.S. Divers mask and seems to work fine in my swimming pool. It is however 10 years old. Im thinking I probably should go ahead and use it for my O/W course, but look at getting a new one for future diving. I know its a dumb question, but I think it would be nice to start out fresh with all new equipment. If my wallet can support it anyway! I think Id like one with a purge valve. I have used them before and loved them.

Im looking foward to meeting you all.

Welcome to the Board and the wonderful world of scuba!

I hope you're saving your pennies, 'cause scuba is a very equipment-intensive sport and it pays to have your own equipment if you're going to dive with any frequency at all (as you certainly should). Having said that, once you get past the initial spending spree, good equipment will last you quite a while and will give you many, many good dives.

I have a face mask with a purge and like it, but I dive with plenty of people who have masks w/o purge, and they seem to get along just fine. Just a matter of personal preference. If you're just getting started, you'll be buying a snorkel and fins anyway, so you may as well splurge and get a new mask. There is a lot of really good equipment on the market, so make your choice and jump in.

Hi Scubydoo

Welcome to the board. I would have to say that this is the best scuba board on the net. In here, you will find answers to questions that you had, but did'nt know you had. Does that make sense? Anyway, welcome aboard! :boom:

Scubydoo,
Welcome from NJ!
As the others have said, thois is the place to get answers to many of your scuba related questions, and to share your experiences.
Regarding equipmen, as CW said, this is an expensive sport.
As such, I'd suggest holding off on making any large$$ purchases until you are sure yoou know what you want.
Rent, and "try before you buy", if possible. If not possible, then read and ask (here, of course). I doubt there is a piece of equipment around that somebodyon the board hasn't had experience with. Even then - it is your opinion that matters.
So, ask, try and think about the advice-then let it filter through your own thoughts-andthen decide.
Good luck with your course,
MikeD

So your mask is 10 years old. Does it still work? use it then as others have said try before you buy.

Enjoy

Regarding your old mask...you may want to check the condition of the silicone. If the mask is 10 years old, there's a good chance that the silicone's become kind of hard which can affect the seal.

Hi and Welcome!!

I agree with the others, Try before you buy.
I did a lot of research and thought I knew exactly what I wanted. Then I had the opportunity to try a lot of different gear out in the pool. What I ended up buying was nowhere near what my first choices were.

Happy Gear Hunting!

Heck, I'm not one to talk someone out of buy new gear. I would try a few different masks though. I would try high and low volume, purge, no purge ect.... I dive with a low volume mask with a purge valve but some people hate purge valves. One thing about masks, if you shop around they are not one of the most expensive pieces of gear but one of the most important. Like the rest of scuba gear, buy the most comfortable.

A 10 year old mask would be fine if it still seals correctly. It may work fine in the pool but give you problems at depth. I would check the silcone skirt and around the lense carefully before I took it in deeper water.

Scott

Welcome Scuby,

I have family just outside Little Rock. My cousins went to Bryant HS.
Until recently I was diving with a 20y/o mask. It had a rubber skirt that was in good condition, but it leaked namely because my facial structure changed from when I bought it as a pre teen.

I have a tusa Hyperdry purge that I love now. Keep researching your gear. Hopefully I'll drag the swampsters up to Ouachita to dive and you can join us.

From North Texas,

Tom

First, a warm hello, and welcome to your new "family" from your "sis" in Ottawa, Ontario hey bro can I borrow some money? (just kidding hehehe)

Masks. hmmm as others have said, if the mask still holds the seal, why not stick with it? However... it might be a "high" volume and as a result you might have a difficult time purging it if you get it flooded (or knocked off). As for getting new stuff, you'll soon find out that this is something we all enjoy -- new toys, new toys. Try out various styles before making your decision. One thing to consider - but I don't know if this would apply to you or not, some purge valves on masks are difficult to use if your are using cold water gloves/mitts.

Back
Top Bottom