Greetings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any exciting dives planned for this year steve?

The last dive I did was just before Xmas....Humber.....in the snow and cold. Loved it. Right now I do not need exciting dives. I just need something deeper than my bathtub :D. The only excitement I have planned is a couple weeks in NS where I will do some diving. Other than that it might be the same old, same old.

Im thinking of some long weekend trips, brockville and kingston with my club, maybe tobermorey if I can find a dive buddy to go with. Someone that knows the area as ive never dove there yet. Lots of wrecks and very clear water. :)
Probably not till july when its warmer. 7mm suit should be enough.

Im thinking of some long weekend trips, brockville and kingston with my club, maybe tobermorey if I can find a dive buddy to go with. Someone that knows the area as ive never dove there yet. Lots of wrecks and very clear water. :)
Probably not till july when its warmer. 7mm suit should be enough.

By July the water will be mid 60's on the surface and depending on depth and currents mid-high 40's at depth in Tobermory. The shore dives are easy enough to do without a "guide" as long as you are able to follow simple navigation techniques. It never hurts to dive with someone that knows the area though. Here is a bit of info.....lots of good info is available elsewhere too. I dove in a 7mm from May to November for years and was OK.....drysuit now. The extreme cold (at beginning and end of season) got to be too much for me after all.

By July the water will be mid 60's on the surface and depending on depth and currents mid-high 40's at depth in Tobermory. The shore dives are easy enough to do without a "guide" as long as you are able to follow simple navigation techniques. It never hurts to dive with someone that knows the area though. Here is a bit of info.....lots of good info is available elsewhere too. I dove in a 7mm from May to November for years and was OK.....drysuit now. The extreme cold (at beginning and end of season) got to be too much for me after all.

LOL thats why I prefer the Caribean, always warm, always clear, visibility was over 100ft when I was there. :)

By the water temps, looks like anytime after june is good. Ive dove in 47f in a quarry with 10ft vis. It sucked LOL
However tobermory will be cold, still much clearer than the quarry. LOL Kingston and brockville should be good.
I will use the charter in tobermory, probably better. Guess I need to book early?
Have you used divers den? I bought my fins and mask there years ago. never dove with them though. Looked like a cattle boat they were using LOL

LOL thats why I prefer the Caribean, always warm, always clear, visibility was over 100ft when I was there. :)

By the water temps, looks like anytime after june is good. Ive dove in 47f in a quarry with 10ft vis. It sucked LOL
However tobermory will be cold, still much clearer than the quarry. LOL Kingston and brockville should be good.
I will use the charter in tobermory, probably better. Guess I need to book early?
Have you used divers den? I bought my fins and mask there years ago. never dove with them though. Looked like a cattle boat they were using LOL

I have dove with Diver's Den several times. They do not fill their boats any more than G+S (all of my Toby charters have been with one of those two operations) IMO. In fact, I like Diver's Den's boats more than G+S but both are good operations IMO. I have never not been able to get a spot on one of their boats even up to a week before. I only book well in advance if I am looking to: A) book the entire boat or B) I want to decide which sites are being dived (they let you decide if you are the first one to book for that particular day assuming the two sites work together location wise).

I have dove with Diver's Den several times. They do not fill their boats any more than G+S (all of my Toby charters have been with one of those two operations) IMO. In fact, I like Diver's Den's boats more than G+S but both are good operations IMO. I have never not been able to get a spot on one of their boats even up to a week before. I only book well in advance if I am looking to: A) book the entire boat or B) I want to decide which sites are being dived (they let you decide if you are the first one to book for that particular day assuming the two sites work together location wise).

I have heard they are probably the best up there. What sites would you recommend that are worth diving?
Id like to book a long weekend up there maybe june. I want to make the most of my dive time there.

I have heard they are probably the best up there. What sites would you recommend that are worth diving?
Id like to book a long weekend up there maybe june. I want to make the most of my dive time there.

I thoroughly enjoyed the King and the Wetmore. The Niagara II is probably one of the most common easily accessible wrecks there since it is a recent sinking (1999 I think) and in great shape. The Arabia is a great wreck if you have the experience.....great tool Divers Den - Shipwreck Map .

I thoroughly enjoyed the King and the Wetmore. The Niagara II is probably one of the most common easily accessible wrecks there since it is a recent sinking (1999 I think) and in great shape. The Arabia is a great wreck if you have the experience.....great tool Divers Den - Shipwreck Map .

Thanks Steve, I will be sure to put these on my list for sure. :)
Hope the 7mm suit is good enough. The arabia looks pretty cool, is it a penestration dive? Hows the clearity down there?

Hope the 7mm suit is good enough. The arabia looks pretty cool, is it a penestration dive? Hows the clarity down there?

To dive the Arabia, you have to show a minimum of 10 cold water dives to 100'+ in the past 6 months. It is cold and dark but a great dive by all accounts. Visibility like everywhere can change but it is usually decent. Actually, Toby in general has pretty good visibility.

To dive the Arabia, you have to show a minimum of 10 cold water dives to 100'+ in the past 6 months. It is cold and dark but a great dive by all accounts. Visibility like everywhere can change but it is usually decent. Actually, Toby in general has pretty good visibility.

Last cold water dives were 4 july and 4 aug brockville and kingston. Did 10 dives in roataan up to 100 ft. And 4 in cuba in dec also up to hundred ft. hard to keep up in Ontario, I work for a living also. LOL Now if I were retired, then I would have more time for diving. Guess I will need to get some dives in here first. Was planning on it just not sure where to go Only so many long weekends and these are weekend excursions

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom