Greetings from Texas!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the wonderful world of diving Hunter! As you may have realized it's a small community, but expands the world. The world is now your ocean, enjoy it and get wet as much as you can.

Cheers!

Hi:

I'd like to point out an option I've heard good things about (but haven't gotten to do), for when you're more experienced (I don't mean that in any patronizing way; read some forum threads about the trips, and if you disagree, so be it). A little quick routing on Google Maps suggests you're under 4 hours from Freeport, Texas, IIRC.

That's where you'll find a live-aboard call the M/V Fling, featuring short trips to the Flower Gardens. Undercurrent (a paid subscription online scuba magazine of sorts) has a free public access review on it from 2014. When you're ready, seems like it would tick some of the right boxes for oceanic, good viz., warm the right time of year, close enough to drive to & skip airfare, several dives, a short trip so you're not gone long, and hitting good reef diving in your area (in case 'home team' type offerings have any added attraction for you). It's deep diving so be aware.

I asked someone who'd worked that boat in the distant past the best time to go for a successful (i.e.: not likely to be blown out by bad weather) trip, and was told July 15 - Sept. 15. Be mindful the Gulf of Mexico is not the Caribbean Sea, and be aware how prone you are to sea sickness (& how to control it if a problem) before you go.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom