Greetings from Pittsburgh, PA - USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig,

I have trained with Juan Pablo Maturana of Scuba Life Cozumel and Andres Petersen of Scuba Craft Cozumel. I can recommend both men as I found them to be very professional and highly knowledgeable. Both were instructors at Blue Angel Resort before opening their own businesses.

One thing about Cozumel - there aren't many beaches and most are run by beach clubs that charge a fee.

Hi Craig

Welcome. Same as you, I've been following SB for a while but only recently signed up.

Regarding drysuit diving I would definitely recommend it and you can usually do the spec as an upgrade to your OW course. Most centres will offer a significant discount if you do them together. In colder climates it gives you the option of diving all year round rather than just a few months. In reality, you usually end up diving in it all year round anyway! Our muddy puddle is about 3°C at the moment (sorry don't know what that is in old money) and its perfectly doable.

Sorry can't offer any feedback on your area as I'm about 3500 miles away, but I'm sure you'll find a decent local scene.

Craig,

I have trained with Juan Pablo Maturana of Scuba Life Cozumel and Andres Petersen of Scuba Craft Cozumel. I can recommend both men as I found them to be very professional and highly knowledgeable. Both were instructors at Blue Angel Resort before opening their own businesses.

One thing about Cozumel - there aren't many beaches and most are run by beach clubs that charge a fee.

Thanks for the info!

Our muddy puddle is about 3°C at the moment

Man, that's cold no matter what.

You can convert °C to °F with the following formula: (°C x 9/5) + 32 = °F

(3°C × 9/5) + 32 = 37.4°F

and alternatively, convert °F to °C with:

(°F − 32) × 5/9 = °C

I'll definitely have to look into doing the drysuit spec.

Another option once certified is the Pittsburgh Zoo has volunteer divers for cleaning various exhibits.

I looked into this a few years ago. They list the requirements on their website.

Volunteer at the Zoo

I know you must own your own gear and volunteer a few times monthly. Used to require Rescue Certification and commit to weekday dives.

I've already purchased a reg set (Deep6 signature 1st and 2x second stages with Miflex hoses) and have my own mask/snorkel/fins.

I may be in for getting a diff set of fins (shorter ones for travel) and will need to decide which BC system to go with. I'm leaning towards BP/W

Then I have to decide which dive computer (budget or go with what I really want which is the OCi black w/transmitter).

and now, since y'all have me diving in the frigid waters of Western PA, I'll nee to figure out drysuit :)

@krbailey - I looked at the Zoo info and looks like I'll need to get some more dives in before applying but sounds like it could be a good way to get some scuba experience and volunteer at the same and possibly meet some other divers along the way.

I purchased an Oceanic package from ATA. Good equipment/price. BP/W is good - gives you a lot of options. You may want to search SB for BCD threads. Lots of good info/recommendations there. The air integrated computer is nice. Initially, I opted for a Geo2 wrist computer and then got a Veo2 gauge/computer combo with my reg/BCD package.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom