Greetings from NE TN!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhill275

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings! I'm a new diver (7 logged dives) located in NE TN. I never dreamed when I moved to the mountains that I would learn to dive, but I completed my OW and EAN 40 certs for a vacation in November (wanted to dive while in Curacao). I fell in love with the sport on my first dive.

I would like to log several more dives before starting on another cert. Suggestions on any spectacular yet budget friendly trips, liveaboards, or resorts would be greatly appreciated. I have two trips lined up with my LDS, but I'm always looking for more and different opportunities, as my on-call work schedule makes LDS trips hit or miss. Thee further out I can plan the better.

Cheers!

Okay, fairly cheap overall trip cost with good oceanic diving where OW & EAN, but not AOW as yet, would be fine. Hmmm...

Key Largo, Florida - you won't be doing the deep wrecks, but the shallow reef diving would be sweet. My trip report (their location moved a bit since this).

Blackbeard's live-aboard, Bahamas. 'Camping at sea,' bunk beds, not much privacy, but airfare shouldn't be bad and overall costs about as cheap as it gets. I don't know about depth so much, but I hear there are varied depths in the Bahamas. Water's cold there at times; wait till the season it warms up. T.C.'s trip report from Blackbeards. For more upscale accommodations & dives, try the AquaCat. For in-between, try Juliet, Lost Island Voyages and Cat Ppalu.

Cozumel - drift diving, and much of it over 60 feet deep, but I think you'd be fine. This destination is often held up for fine diving on the cheap. I notice people mention 'Dive with Martin' as an excellent budget op. Scuba Club Cozumel I think can be all-inclusive? Not sure on that last bit. Might give you a total trip cost. You'll notice on the forum a number of people prefer eating out in Cozumel over A.I., and speak well of the topside experience (e.g.: the people there).

Richard.

Welcome to SB! You seem to have the right attitude about just diving and gaining experience and not chasing cert cards!

Thank you for the info. My deepest dive so far has been 65 ft, haven't used nitrox yet, want to try it out in the local quarry with LDS before using on a significant trip..

I've seen other positive reviews for blackbeard's, will definitely check them out in more detail. I always prefer feedback in forums like this over a cold google search.

Thanks again!

---------- Post added January 3rd, 2016 at 10:12 PM ----------

Seems like the right approach. The certs do you no good if you aren't proficient in the skills they represent, or at least that's my view. Safety first - want to be diving for a long time... :)

With a number of new things, trying out locally before heading out on an exotic trip is a fine idea, but I doubt needful with nitrox. It doesn't look, taste or smell any different, and while people debate whether with repetitive diving it offers reduced fatigue beyond a placebo effect, for practical purposes I don't think you'll notice any difference. You need to analyze it, set your computer for your mix & don't exceed the maximum operating depth.

I don't think Blackbeard's offers nitrox, by the way. Any many vacation spots nitrox is available at added cost. In Bonaire, it's often offered as a 'free upgrade.' People diving twice per day, regular recreational dives with 80 cf tanks who don't have great gas consumption rates & stay real deep much of the dive likely don't need it. Obviously people do plenty of diving on Blackbeard's without it. I generally use it if offered.

I mentioned depth for 2 reasons. One is what you're comfortable with. Two is what the dive op. is comfortable with. Some places will happily take you diving well over 60 feet deep with 'just' an OW cert., but some places will demand AOW or similar, or else not take you on some trips or tell you to dive shallower.

I appreciate your desire to gain knowledge & skill, not just a pile of plastic cards. Be aware that AOW (or equivalent; I think in terms of PADI) is one plastic card you might need occasionally.

Richard.

Welcome!

Hopefully you'll become an active participant... in both diving and ScubaBoard! We can always use another voice in the conversation.

Ray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom