Greetings from Michigan.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichigandiverJon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I'm new to this site. I got hooked on diving very young using an Evinrude Aquanaut. Later started using N.O.S. vintage AMF Voit Scuba equipment but had no formal training until getting SSI certified in 2005. My diving was sporadic until my first wreck dive in Lake Michigan, the Niko in 2009. Since then my desire to dive has grown rapidly, Got my SSI Advanced Open Water in 2012 and have fallen in love with Thunder Bay shipwrecks.

We did summer camp at Alpena CRTC and my first 'real' dive was the William P Rend and the Oscar T Flint. Those were AWESOME!!! Couldn't believe it was August and the surface temp of Huron was 72. My previous dives were my OW cert dives. It was luck that I went as I didn't bring any equipment and happened to stop by Thunder Bay Scuba and he was going out for a fun dive and I tagged along with other people.

Hey thier Buddy nice to see ya on the board!

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

We did summer camp at Alpena CRTC and my first 'real' dive was the William P Rend and the Oscar T Flint. Those were AWESOME!!! Couldn't believe it was August and the surface temp of Huron was 72. My previous dives were my OW cert dives. It was luck that I went as I didn't bring any equipment and happened to stop by Thunder Bay Scuba and he was going out for a fun dive and I tagged along with other people.

Hey Spectre, Joe at TB Scuba is an awesome guy who will open his shop to divers almost anytime day or night. He loves to share what Thunder Bay has to offer and is always cheerful. Great guy, great shop for sure! I haven't been on the Rend yet but have dove the Flint a couple times now and found new things to see each time. Thanks Avon, and everybody else, this is an awesome site with so much content it's crazy!

Welcome from a UP diver. Hope to get down there some day but I can't seem to get past the straights. There's lots of nice wrecks there too. The only other wreck dives I've done in Huron was the 'other' side, Georgian Bay.

Welcome from a UP diver. Hope to get down there some day but I can't seem to get past the straights. There's lots of nice wrecks there too. The only other wreck dives I've done in Huron was the 'other' side, Georgian Bay.

Hi Diverdon, Where do you dive out of most? Munising? Whitefish? St. Ignace? Haven't been there diving yet, but I'll get there someday. My cousin wants me to do a dive along a rocky bank in Superior about 100ft down where he's lost a lot of fishing gear lol!

Hi Diverdon, Where do you dive out of most? Munising? Whitefish? St. Ignace? Haven't been there diving yet, but I'll get there someday. My cousin wants me to do a dive along a rocky bank in Superior about 100ft down where he's lost a lot of fishing gear lol!

I've done more diving in Munising due to its close proximity, but the straights are better IMO and worth the effort.
Where is that rocky bank? Probably not cost efficient to retrieve lost fishing gear if you need to access it by boat. But it wouldn't be hard to find someone to tag along. There isn't too much more to look at in the Great Lakes than interesting rocks and shipwrecks.
I like the idea of diving vintage gear though as you mentioned doing earlier. I have a few old single hose reg and some of the classic looking plastic back packs with tanks and half inch valves. When I find a money tree I might just get some of that stuff serviced and try it.

Very cool on the Munising dives! Ive heard good things from there. I'm sure it isn't cost effective to retrieve lost tackle using a diver, but it IS a good excuse to dive lol! The marina I work at sold scuba gear back in the early 70s and still had some new AMF Voit single hose regs and Daycor bcs that I learned to dive on. However, word got out that we were diving "relic gear" and a couple guys came in and offered us way too much money ( Or so we thought) for everything we had left lol. So I went and got certified and started collecting modern gear and I seem to get more excited to dive every year now. IMO the Great Lakes are the best place for shipwrecks.

Back
Top Bottom