Greetings from Central Florida!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*reminds me of a beach in Bali*

Welcome from Sunny Thailand! As you've already discovered, there are several Floridians (is that a word?) on these boards, some crazier than others (see - NETDOC, the mad lyricist) but all here to help and have fun.

Hope to see a lot of you around here.
:)

Hey you can always dive in the Living Seas, EPCOT... I hear its a hoot, from one person who did it, and a bore from another. But Florida has a boatload of diving experiences... from our HUGE number of springs to two oceans, and even a lake or river on the side. Just bring shark n' gator repellant, and be prepared to get mauled by our manatee.

:tease:

PS... I sound much better in person

Originally posted by blueocean
Hi everyone! I'm a newbie here and hoping to meet other divers to share information with and perhaps find a few dive buddies. I was certified two years ago but haven't had any luck finding a dive buddy. Is there anyone else out there in Central Florida in the same situation? I also still need to buy my BCD and regulator does anyone have an economical suggestion for a beginning diver?

A big welcome from us Jealous Texans! We wish we had nice waters like you have to dive! I have hear there is an effort to filter all the ocean water surrounding texas so it will be like Florida, but so far Pur & Britta have told us that they don't make water filters big enough for a job like that.

But we can still hope.

HI Blueocean,
I'm always looking for dive buddies. I live on the I-4 corridor between Tampa and Orlando. If you ever want to get wet just let me know! Check out Divers Direct on International Drive there in Orlando. They have everything from the very top of the line on down. My suggestion, purchase good gear. Good gear will last many years if you care for it properly. BTW, Welcome! :tree:Bob

Hello Blueocean

Welcome from Arizona all beach and no ocean :)

As far a gear goes I would suggest renting first geat a feal for everything then find gear that fits right on your body then on your pocketbook, in the mean time enjoy the best SI on the net.

Like Many Outhers Said -get Involved In A Good Dive Club That Dives !!not Just Talk About It ..on Equipment Go On Divers Direct Web. They Have The Best Deals ..they Are Onest !!!

scubadmike:
Like Many Outhers Said -get Involved In A Good Dive Club That Dives !!not Just Talk About It ..on Equipment Go On Divers Direct Web. They Have The Best Deals ..they Are Onest !!!

Wow, resurecting a six year old thread. That MUST be some kind of record.

blueocean:
Hi everyone! I'm a newbie here and hoping to meet other divers to share information with and perhaps find a few dive buddies. I was certified two years ago but haven't had any luck finding a dive buddy. Is there anyone else out there in Central Florida in the same situation? I also still need to buy my BCD and regulator does anyone have an economical suggestion for a beginning diver?

:sharks:
Hello BlueOcean, I’m new to this board also and so far it looks like a prefect place for information. The people are friendly and responsive. Just what I was looking for!
I’m in Cocoa Beach and I dive as often as I can. Did 9 dive trips in August and am still moving along in September. Dove Sept, 2 on Blue Herion bridge and the 6th with Jupiter Dive Center. Planning a dive on the 9th and the 30th as well. I’m probably going to dive a couple of times in between. Can’t see letting two weeks go by and not get in the water. I like to be in the water as often as I can.

I’m always looking for dive partners because finding someone that wants to dive as much as me and with the time to do it is hard. As far as equipment goes (and I know I’m going to get slammed for this but) I started looking around eBay and graigslist and found good stuff for a ¼ of what it would cost new. Some of it was older stuff that people bought once certified with all the intentions of diving a lot and dove once or twice and never got back into the water. Figure out what you want, read up and check into what is good and what is mediocre. Compare new to old and shop your budget. Here’s the biggest thing – Always (I repeat always) have anything life supporting checked by someone experienced and certified. BC’s and regulators for sure. Pick a shop you trust and stick with them. They will give you the best advise when it comes to your equipments effectiveness. I started looking around the sale sites and put the word out to my fellow firefighters that I was looking for gear. In a couple of months I now have five complete sets (of which I only needed three). My garage looks like a dive shop. I moved this console to these regulators and that computer to those regulators and so on. Now after having all of it tested and serviced everything works like a charm. It’s a mixed and matched jumble of stuff but I have the utmost confidence in the gear. I got all the sets for what one top of the line set would have cost. With all this said, bare in mind, cheaper is not always better and saving money is not always safer. Check and service all your life support stuff before you jump off the boat.

If you need a dive buddy for a trip let me know and we can see how our schedules work out. I cert’ed the wife and daughter along with a couple of her friends just so I would have larger pool of dive buddies. Keep and eye on Scubaboard and enjoy every minute in the water. Good luck and happy diving.

Back
Top Bottom