Greetings from Central Florida!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blueocean

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm a newbie here and hoping to meet other divers to share information with and perhaps find a few dive buddies. I was certified two years ago but haven't had any luck finding a dive buddy. Is there anyone else out there in Central Florida in the same situation? I also still need to buy my BCD and regulator does anyone have an economical suggestion for a beginning diver?

Hey there blueocean. Welcome to the Scubasource family, we're glad to have you aboard. I'm also glad you jumped right in and asked some questions. We'd be more than happy to offer you some input.

Though there are more suitable places on the boards to ask such questions to get more responses, I'll get the ball rolling until you've had the chance to explore the rest of the site. But for me to do that I need to know what your idea of economical is, and the type of diving you intend to do. :)

A warm welcome from north of the 49! You'll love it here.

Hi Blueocean,

Welcome to the diving community in central Florida. I'm in the Orlando area myself, and I know there's at least one more person who frequents this board who is from the area, too (Pete, you out diving today instead of hangin' around the boards?).

Mario is right... choosing a BC/regulator has a lot to do with what kind of diving you plan to do. I look at the economics of diving as how your equipment amortizes. If you buy something really cheap that will only last you 3 dives then you pay more per dive for it than you do if you buy something better that costs a bit more but will last you for 50 or 100 (or more) dives.

I bought this $25 backup light, and it flooded after 3 dives. $8.33 per dive -- pretty pricey for a flashlight. Then I bought a $32 backup light. I lost it on my seventh dive. That's $4.57 a dive. Just think if I had actually managed to clip it properly to my D-ring during that last dive... it would still be getting cheaper per dive. ;-)

Anyhow, you get the idea. If you get a good BC and regulator, you won't be looking to replace them as soon, which will ultimately make them less expensive. That's the way I justify my purchases, anyhow...

Julie

Wo Julie...

Captain Jim was SPECTACULAR on the Loggerhead. I just got back, will have pics in the am, and I was ecstatic at the service!!! It was my son's first ocean dive, and what memories. He and I were the ONLY divers on the boat... and Captain Jim STILL took us out! I will post the report soon... gotta go eat!

Hey OceanBlue... there are a few of us from the Orlando area here on the board... even more from this general location if you count the west coast. This was my first trip since seriously hurting my back two months ago, so you can call on me to buddy with you from time to time.

:tease:

Pete,

I'm so glad that you had a good time on Loggerhead. I was SO impressed with them, and am even more now that I heard you got a private boat this afternoon. I wish I had known you would have the boat to yourself... I would have joined you!

I'm looking forward to the trip report and the pics.

Julie

Blueocean

Welcome to scubaboard from sunny (!?) England!
You've come to the right place looking for dive buddies...theres so many divers from all over the place...I cant think why you wouldnt be able to find someone next door to you!!!

You might get more response if you put your equipment enquires in the Equipment Section

Anyway, enjoy scubaboard!

welcome to a great web site!
I too live in orlando(college Park)
I get to go down to Boca/deerfield beach area every so often and dive there!

Drop me a line and I would be more than glad to dive with you some day!

Jason Lee

........from north of the 49th.

Blueocean have you checked out any dive clubs in the area??

Gotta be someplace down there you can go to find a dive buddy.

But if you ever travel north to Ontario there are a bunch of us all over to take you out.

Butch :peace:

Blueocean;

Welcome to the board!

Being in Canada, I need a good excuse to meet up with you. Kids are suggesting Disney world......but I'm paying so we go where I want. Ha Ha Ha Ha...

There are some great folk on the board (but don't let Pete sing...You've been warned)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom