Greetings from a Northern California Newbie!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubarat

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just discovered this website and it's great. I'm going to be doing my referral dives for OW certification this weekend...in Hawaii :) ! I did one "resort dive" and loved it (not the instructor, just the huge puffer fish and a white tipped shark!)...I'm already planning on taking more classes when I get back...and on buying more of my own equipment! Anyway, just wanted to say hi and that it's great to find a site where there are so many other underwater explorers :).

Terri

Hey there Terri, gald to have you here! Do tell how your dives go in Hawaii, and please let us know if there is anything we can help you with.

Hi, Terri!

How far north? I am in the SF Bay Area--a hot bed of cold water divers--which I am not, but that is a different story!

Which Island are you going to? Well, where ever, I have one suggestion: after cert, go right back for a post-cert dive. It will be one of the biggest thrills in your life!

Yeah, I still remember my first one!

Welcome aboard! This place is really user friendly!

Joewr

Hey Joewr :)! I'm in sunny Sacramento...Yes, I've heard of the cold water diving (dry suit territory!!). Do you know of any good Northern Cali diving? I'm heading to the Big Island...Kona...to dive with the Manta Rays. I'm finishing my OW cert this weekend and then diving for the next 5 days out there (3 day dives, 2 nights, hope that won't be overkill!!). I can't wait :)

Originally posted by joewr
Hi, Terri!

How far north? I am in the SF Bay Area--a hot bed of cold water divers--which I am not, but that is a different story!

Which Island are you going to? Well, where ever, I have one suggestion: after cert, go right back for a post-cert dive. It will be one of the biggest thrills in your life!

Yeah, I still remember my first one!

Welcome aboard! This place is really user friendly!

Joewr

Scubarat,

Kona is awesome! We are heading back there soon! What dive shop are you using (Does this guy never stop asking questions? Nope!)?

Now, I do not want to shock you--maybe you better sit down to read this....I do not dive up here: too damn cold and murky for me. And before the NetDoc pipes up(Actually, not a real threat since he is in FLA.) I will confess to you that I am a candy a-- diver: I think my log says that I have not been in water colder than 73-74 deg. That will probably change next year, though.

But, heck, you're headed for Kailua and that water is 80 deg now! Three days and two nights is not even close to overkill! Three weeks would not be overkill! Have a great time and be sure to report back--we love to hear about every single dive trip!

Joewr

I'm finishing my OW certification with Sandwich Isle Divers and doing the rest of the dives with Rainbow Divers. I heard Jack's Diving Locker and Eco-Adventures are great also. I hope the dive shops I'm going with will be ok...you can never be quite sure!

Nope, I'm not surprised you don't dive in Cali!! I'm a total wimp too...I even got cold in wearing a skinsuit, wetsuit, AND vest with gloves in Maui!!!!!! If I ever dive in the Pacific I'll be in a drysuit (of course, I'll have to take that class first). I don't look forward to cold Cali dives but I also don't want to just dive once a year when I'm on vacation (don't want to get rusty!!).

I'll let you all know how the Kona dives go :)

Originally posted by joewr
Scubarat,

Kona is awesome! We are heading back there soon! What dive shop are you using (Does this guy never stop asking questions? Nope!)?

Now, I do not want to shock you--maybe you better sit down to read this....I do not dive up here: too damn cold and murky for me. And before the NetDoc pipes up(Actually, not a real threat since he is in FLA.) I will confess to you that I am a candy a-- diver: I think my log says that I have not been in water colder than 73-74 deg. That will probably change next year, though.

But, heck, you're headed for Kailua and that water is 80 deg now! Three days and two nights is not even close to overkill! Three weeks would not be overkill! Have a great time and be sure to report back--we love to hear about every single dive trip!

Joewr

Scubarat,

Please say "Hi: to Steve, Lara, and Walt of Sandwich Isle Divers! We will be diving with them in Sept. We spent a week and a half with them in Feb. of this year. Very nice folks! Very nice!

And be sure to take a jacket with you if you are going into Safeway--coldest goldurn grocery store I have ever been in!

Joewr

Welcome to the forum, Scubarat. I resided in Chico which it's not far from Sacramento. That's wonderful of your traveling to Hawaii. My mother and step-father is heading down to Princeville, Kauai this October. Both are not divers, just snorkelers... Anyhow, I'd just got back from Channel Islands dive trip. Been gone for 3 days. I had the greatest time. Batrays was everywhere as a matter of fact, I observed one feeding about 15 feet away from me. That, I was a little disappointed cause' I had no H2O camera with me. :(
Better luck next time! Post us about your trip!!!
afraser

Afraser31,

Another Nortecaliforniano! I am beginning to feel not so lonely up here! Batrays? Wow! You know Socaldiver has convinced me by virtue of his power with words to do a little cold water diving down south...can an experienced dog learn new tricks? We shall see. Meanwhile, Afraser31 (I always thought you were in Seattle.), a belated "hello" from a fellow north-of-the-Tehachpies diver.

Joewr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom