Greetings and Salutations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sorslibertas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi. I’m a newly minted PADI OW diver, as of a couple of weeks ago. I started pool training as a member of a BSAC club about 10 years ago, managed to get a couple of open water dives, but my postgrad, fatherhood, and another postgrad intervened. Working shifts as an emergency nurse and a pandemic didn’t help either.

I managed to squeeze in the OW course while visiting family in Indonesia, and will hopefully start on the Sport Diver course with my current BSAC club. The aim is yo not take a decade to get my next qualification. If the stars align, and I manage to get my SD ticket sooner rather than later, I might see if I can treat myself to a GUE Fundamentals course - I would be happy with a provisional rec pass, to be honest.

I managed to find the ancient DUI drysuit that I bought on Ebay for a song 10 years ago (it was old even then!) and found that it still fits, so dropped it at my LDS for a pressure test. I may or may not decide to sink money in to refurbish it: There is some life left in the neck and wrist seals, the inflator, and the dump valve, but not too sure about the zip. It’ll be a shame if I have to get rid of it, as it feels so comfy to wear! I’ll just see how it goes.

In the meantime, I’m looking forward to diving in the murky UK waters, and enjoy lovely seas on my annual trips home to Indonesia.

Welcome to SB @sorslibertas

Indonesia is definitely one of my favourite areas to dive, especially N. Sulawesi.

Good new drysuits can be obtained at a reasonable price in the UK too e.g. Seaskin and there's great diving in the UK too, especially on the West of Scotland :D

Welcome to ScubaBoard. Yeah, we see a lot of 'life got in the way' stories from people returning to diving post-kids, etc... As a diver, you're probably going to want to 'visit' those relatives in Indonesia a lot more often...

Richard.

Hi. I’m a newly minted PADI OW diver, as of a couple of weeks ago. I started pool training as a member of a BSAC club about 10 years ago, managed to get a couple of open water dives, but my postgrad, fatherhood, and another postgrad intervened. Working shifts as an emergency nurse and a pandemic didn’t help either.

I managed to squeeze in the OW course while visiting family in Indonesia, and will hopefully start on the Sport Diver course with my current BSAC club. The aim is yo not take a decade to get my next qualification. If the stars align, and I manage to get my SD ticket sooner rather than later, I might see if I can treat myself to a GUE Fundamentals course - I would be happy with a provisional rec pass, to be honest.

I managed to find the ancient DUI drysuit that I bought on Ebay for a song 10 years ago (it was old even then!) and found that it still fits, so dropped it at my LDS for a pressure test. I may or may not decide to sink money in to refurbish it: There is some life left in the neck and wrist seals, the inflator, and the dump valve, but not too sure about the zip. It’ll be a shame if I have to get rid of it, as it feels so comfy to wear! I’ll just see how it goes.

In the meantime, I’m looking forward to diving in the murky UK waters, and enjoy lovely seas on my annual trips home to Indonesia.
To help speed things up we introduced Advanced Ocean Diver (AOD) earlier this year. As a PADI OW you can enroll on it, it teaches DSMB, navigation and gives you a 30m qualification. There is a new training pack to take you to Sports Diver (SD) from AOD. Or you can just sign up direct for SD the costs are the same.

Any questions just DM me.

There are BSAC Branches in Malaysia and Thailand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom