Greeting from Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travel girl

Reaction score
Hi all I am a travel agent and live between Aliwal Shoal and Protea bank on the East Coast of South Africa where I do a lot of diving. Being in my profession I do a lot of traveling and am lucky enough to be able to dive at some of the greatest resorts mainly in Africa and the Indian Ocean Islands. I will post reports on the resorts I visit. If you need any help or advice on African diving please contact me

welcome aboard

Fantastic. Welcome to the SB community. Africa is on my "to dive" list for the next year, and my nephew is heading there in June to tour the southern part of the continent for a full summer. Although I will probably dive the Red Sea, I am also interested in the kelp forests of South Africa and the region you are in. Look forward to your reports.

I got a question for you? I heard you can swim with White Sharks over there. Thats something i want to do. I watched this video of a French guy freediving with one. Thats on my to do list. Ive only seen one up close but i was on a boat. Do you know were this can be done?

Hi Steel-Slinger hope this helps you
I am also going cage diving with crocodiles in the next few weeks will post a report

The trip begins at 10 in the morning from Klein Bay, which is 2 km along the coast from the village of Gansbaai. Here you board our shark-chaser, The Predator II for the 5 mile voyage to Dyer Island.
After dropping anchor, we all begin attracting Great Whites with a specially-formulated Á¤hum mixture, made from completely legal ingredients, which has taken Brian years to perfect, and is a highly-guarded trade secret. Sharks are seen on 99.9% of our trips!
Once the Great Whites arrive, you will have the opportunity to photograph these awe-inspiring animals feeding at the surface, right alongside the boat. If you got the guts...this is when you enter the cage!
We have a shuttle service from Cape Town & Hermanus to the launch site at Klein Bay if you need it.
It is recommended that you book well in advance and allow at least 2 days diving in case of adverse weather conditions. Passengers are exposed to the open sea while travelling to and from the islands. At the islands the boat is anchored off the lee sides and protected bays.
The boat leaves the docks at 10 in the morning, and returns at 3 in the afternoon.
The Boat
PREDATOR II, Brian's new (2003) hi-tech custom-built catamaran is the envy of every boating enthusiast. Fitted with a spacious cabin and sheltered seating, dive platform, toilet & wash basin... it is sleek, fast, and comfortable. We can take as many as 18 passengers per day, but you will never feel crowded.
The Predator II is inspected by the Department of Transport annually. Our boat and entire operation have been dilegently scrutinized by the controlling bodies of the South African government, and have been awarded one of only 8 licenses available in this part of Africa to take you down to see these giants.
The Cages
Only snorkeling experience is required if you want to go down in the cage.
Sometimes the water will be extremely rough or far too murky to use the cage, viewing from the boat is still an awesome experience, with excellent photo opportunities.
The cage is of the floating-variety and is custom-made with 12mm galvanised steel mesh. The sharks cannot get inside, and they don't try. The air is fed from the boat, so you don't have to worry about a tank strapped to your back.
All diving equipment is supplied. All of our wetsuits are new and leak-free...just like our boat.
The cage floats right next to the boat, so you can climb out at any time if you get scared and want to call your Mummy.
Viewing Season
The Great Whites are in 'Shark Alley' all year round.
The Islands
Dyer Island is 5 miles (8 km) offshore, near the village of Gansbaai at the southern tip of Africa... only 2 hours from Cape Town.
Nearby, Geyser Rock supports a colony of 40,000 Cape Fur Seals....these guys are the reason the Great Whites stay here.
Shark Alley is the channel between the 2 islands, and is protected from the worst of the Southern Atlantic's weather...this is where we park the Predator II.
The islands, and Shark Alley itself are teeming with life. Cape Fur Seals, Jackass Penguins, and a wide variety of sea birds are commonly seen from the boat. From July to November, Southern Right Whales are spotted almost every day as well!
Passenger Requirements & Equipment
Cage diving with us does not require a scuba certification. Minimal snorkling experience is all you need to go down in the cage.
Everyone is welcome for surface viewing of the White Sharks as they are surface feeders and can be observed closely from the boat.
All diving equipment is supplied free of charge, including towels. Warm clothing, a cap, sun block, camera & film are essential items for the trip. A light lunch, cool drinks, fruit & other snacks will be provided on board.

RATES
2008 price for all day, either surface or cage diving, including any equipment needs, food and drinks is R1100 (approximately). Prices for 2009 could be slightly more. Will upload some pic's soon.

Thanks alot Travel girl. Good info. Ya put so photos up

Hello Travel Girl,
Welcome on board, thanks for all the info.
S-Africa is one of my dream destination.
Will have to make it soon.
All the best,
Michel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom