Greenleaf State Park, OK.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone on the board dove the lake at Greenleaf State Park, Oklahoma??

I have stayed at the park several times.....the lake looks very divable....I will contact the on-site ranger.

Please let us know. I should have tried it this past weekend. Tenkiller's vis was down to around 2 to 5 feet. The lake level was up though.

Have driven over the bridge many times on the way to Tenkiller...always thought of whether or not it is divable....someone brave go jump in and let us know!

It doesn't look very big at all though!

When you cross the bridge, that's lower Greenleaf, and it connects with the Arkansas river. Greenleaf lake is East of that bridge and you can see the lake dam, east of the bridge. It has a pretty park and a small dock. It has always been muddy when I've stopped by to look, ( and I know muddy). I'm always driving past to go to Tenkiller. This past summer has had it's good and bad weekends. If you were diving the new underwater park, It has been crowded and students keep it stirred up. From the state park Look to the rock bluffs on the north side of Pine Cove. You can drive most of the way, but still a short swim to get out to the rocks. . . It's seldom dove, but the underwater rocks and trees make it one of the best dives on Tenkiller. It's good shallow and down to 80 or 90 feet.

Greenleaf is not what i would call good diving by anymeans. 1 to 3 ft vis. tenkiller is close enough. Skiatook is probly better than greenleaf.

What about Robert S Kerr Lake??? Anyone ever try to dive that? It looks pretty big on maps, and has the water downstream of Tenkiller...

LakeScubaDiver:
What about Robert S Kerr Lake??? Anyone ever try to dive that? It looks pretty big on maps, and has the water downstream of Tenkiller...

The Illinois river flows into the Arkansas river, then into Kerr lake. It is big, but a large part of the lake is only a couple of feet deep, mud bottom = bad visibility. Trying to bring up a bass boat with a BIG outboard. The motor was stuck in the mud, my partner was a new diver with a dive light. . . you couldn't see the sun below about 3 feet, and the light could only be seen if it was next to your mask. The thrill of recovering a valuable boat, spending 6 hours in water with 50 gallons of leaking gasoline, and watching them drive off at midnight, forgetting to pay. . . priceless.

On another thread Skatook lake north of Tulsa, can be OK but much of the lake has a mud bottom and the Viz is not good. In some of the rocky areas we found 3 to 6 foot viz. One of the best areas we found was the island near that highway that crosses the lake. It's a favorite party area, and some of the party'ers were a little scary with their boat handling.

I used to fish at Greenleaf when I was . . . . . . . . . count'em . . . . . . . . . .six years old. I remember the lake being very murky . . .. . . . . even for a six year old 'fisherman'. I had never considered diving Greenleaf. I wouldn't consider it today unless some one just comes back with some mind-blowing viz report. Highly unlikely.

JR

Back
Top Bottom