Green photos!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fredaroony

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys,

My first attempt underwater so please be gentle! :) I have a Fuji Z100fd and this picture was taken on underwater mode. You can see how green is looks. Some came out better than others and could be corrected a little.

The camera does have a couple manual settings but not sure how much of a difference it would make. Any advice would be appreciated. I have read through a lot of this forum and especially Alcina's big thread.

Both of these pics were taken with the same setting but you can see that one is much greener than the other.

Attachments

• DSCF6064 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF6064 (1024x768).jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF6037 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF6037 (1024x768).jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 87
I assume you took the photos without the flash?

To avoid green or blue photos without the flash use your white balance setting in the "Custom" mode (if you have it). Calibrate your white balance off a white dive slate or similar item at the various depths and ambient light conditions you are at. Then post process your photos in PS or similar program.

If you don't have the "Custom" white balance option then you can
1. buy a filter for green or blue water or
2. use the "underwater.atn" file in Photoshop. It is a Photoshop "Action" and the file can be downloaded from
Underwater atn - Rapidshare download
This action corrects blue photos. Not sure if it works on green ones.

Actually for the most part it looks like it was my monitor lol! I fiddled around with a few of the settings the nearly all the green is gone now.

Do you have a Mac version? :D

I assume you took the photos without the flash?

To avoid green or blue photos without the flash use your white balance setting in the "Custom" mode (if you have it). Calibrate your white balance off a white dive slate or similar item at the various depths and ambient light conditions you are at. Then post process your photos in PS or similar program.

If you don't have the "Custom" white balance option then you can
1. buy a filter for green or blue water or
2. use the "underwater.atn" file in Photoshop. It is a Photoshop "Action" and the file can be downloaded from
Underwater atn - Rapidshare download
This action corrects blue photos. Not sure if it works on green ones.

Lots of good tips on this other SB thread regarding post-processing off-color UW photos. The thread contains a step-by-step description of how to process UW photos with Photoshop using the Mandrake method. You should understand that this method creates an artificial red layer to add back the red color that is lacking in deeper UW photos.

If you're using a Mac, apparently you can't use the gift-wrapped "underwater.atn" action that's floating around on the WWW. But big deal! You can create your own UW red channel enhancement action using the steps provided on the previously mentioned thread. It's really easy. Just read the directions/Photoshop help. There's a "record" button that you press to start recording your action. Then you go about making the changes on one photo in a step-by-step fashion. Then stop and save the action. Voila! On subsequent photos, you invoke your custom-made action.

Other workable options include using Aperture or Adobe Lightroom. Both software packages allow the user to white balance a photo by simply selecting a pixel to be mid-neutral gray -- the rest of the picture magically adjusts. Simply select the White Balance tool and click on the pixel. It's that easy. Although these programs are geared more for RAW photo processing, the White Balance tools can still be used with .jpg files. Since .jpg files were subjected to a compression algorithm, this means that color information from the original scene/photo was discarded. For this reason, you can expect the quality of white balancing a .jpg to be inferior to that of a comparable RAW photo. Nevertheless, you should try out this method with your greenish UW photos. You'll be surprised by the color improvement.

Hope this info helps...

Back
Top Bottom