Green Heads, in Gloucester and Rockport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ones at the Jersey shore are stable flies, believe it or not. They look like houseflies, they're smaller than greenheads, and are less scary-looking, but MAN do they hurt. :11: If you look closely at them, their bodies have goldish stripes. I think they hurt a LOT worse than greenheads.
Nothing will repel them for long, short of a flamethrower. They SUCK.

SueMermaid:
The ones at the Jersey shore are stable flies, believe it or not. They look like houseflies, they're smaller than greenheads, and are less scary-looking, but MAN do they hurt. :11: If you look closely at them, their bodies have goldish stripes. I think they hurt a LOT worse than greenheads.

No no take it away!!!!!!!

SueMermaid:

Last two years were the worst - they were everywhere. I go to LBI and the Colgate side... Let's just say it's bad... But they are greenheads... May be they r just P.O. - drank too much NY blood??? :wink: who knows!!! (On the island they r using the "environmentally safe methods" to fight them that were gained through knowledge sharing b/n NJ and MA (Cape Cod) officials)...

well keep them over there..

my friend told me the only way to repel green heads, is baby oil and cheap calogne..

My wife has vacation this week and took the family to Wingersheek beach in Gloucester on Wednesday. They were constantly being attacted by green heads. There was a sign posted about it too. Many of the dive spots in that area are not near salt marshes (thankfully) so the bug population there is kept down.

bikeflip22:
well keep them over there..

my friend told me the only way to repel green heads, is baby oil and cheap calogne..

And how exactly did someone discover this? Never mind I guess I don't really want to know.

trial and error, my friend.

my sister went to Wingersheek on wednesday, and also said they were horrible.. thats why i wasnt sure about folly and other seashore spots

I just bought a house on Lufkin Point in Essex. It is out at the mouth of the Essex River. This is one of the worst years ever some of the locals told me. You have to run from your car to your house. We are in the process of painting to get ready to move. They are bad enough that I have been questioning why I bought out there.

The locals told me that the full moon usually gets rid of them. The full moon was last night and miraculously almost no greenheads today. Go figure. The rocky spots we dive from on Cape Ann are almost totally unaffected by the greenheads anyway. You need saltmarsh grasses for them to lay their eggs. This is most likely why the full moon and the extra high tide gets rid of them - it swamps their nests.

I live in gloucester, and visit the beaches on and off... got a bite at good harbor beach last week, but by and large I haven't had any problems.

Scubafisch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom