Green Heads, in Gloucester and Rockport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bikeflip22

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone seen/heard if there are any green heads swarming around rockport and glocuester beaches/coves? They spawn up here in Rowley/Newbury/Ipswich, and are man eaters (no joke!). I just was making sure, because it sure would ruin a dive/snorkeling trip.

Sorry, not a local. What's a green head?

Is it like a GreenPeace freak?

Greenheads are saltmarsh horseflies with big green eyes. Adults usually feed on nectar, but after laying eggs (in mid to late summer) females go hunting for blood to feed them.

Toward that end, they have mouthparts designed to rip and lick. The bite feels similar to being stabbed with a thumbtack, and they don't take no for an answer. If you aren't familiar with them, consider yourself lucky.

MSilvia:
Greenheads are saltmarsh horseflies with big green eyes. Adults usually feed on nectar, but after laying eggs (in mid to late summer) females go hunting for blood to feed them.

Toward that end, they have mouthparts designed to rip and lick. The bite feels similar to being stabbed with a thumbtack, and they don't take no for an answer. If you aren't familiar with them, consider yourself lucky.

I went to a beach in NJ at a State Park and they had out a sign that the XYZ flies were out today. My wife and I looked at the sign made some joke and headed to the beach. Well we found out what these babies were all about, and they must be Greenhead cousins. Ouch they can bite like no horsefly I have ever seen.

* they aren't auctually called XYZ flies, but I am too traumatized to remember the real name.

I heard they get bad ones in Jersey, but I don't remember what they're called down there either. I have trouble imagining a fly that's much worse than a greenhead though...

they are horrible..

and they group up to.. its not like it will be one, you'll have like 5 land on one portion of ur leg and they will just start biting, its worst insect ever. nothing will keep them away..

and whoever said they werent good swimmers (jokingly i assume) are wrong.. we held one under water for about 2 minutes before the sucker drowned..

grnhd_fly.jpg

1greenhead.jpg

there are a few pictures..

i went to folly today, and thankfully.. no green heads or horse flies! :dazzler1:

I grew up in NJ and we had our share of these suckers. As a kid, I used to go waterskiing in Barnegat Bay. If the bay was choppy, we used to ski in a place that we called "fly cove." They would actually bit you as you were skiing!

ClassAction:
I grew up in NJ and we had our share of these suckers. As a kid, I used to go waterskiing in Barnegat Bay. If the bay was choppy, we used to ski in a place that we called "fly cove." They would actually bit you as you were skiing!

I give them Jersey flies the respect they deserve. Each bite is like a bee sting that doesn't last long. We thought oh ha ha look at that silly sign. Usually the sign will warn of rip tides or some other danger. We thought it was funny at first, but we found out why the Red Cross isn't on the Jersey coast, you can't give blood twice in one week. Give me a good ole rip tide and a Great White to boot, but just don't unleash those dang flies again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom