Green Force LED lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingCRNA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My back-up light died and my pistol grip primary is getting a finicky switch. So I am looking at replacing both and getting my first can light, as well as a new back up. The cann will also allow me to lose some weight off the belt when in my drysuit.

Are any of you using Green Force's LED lights. The burn time and durability on the 9 amp look good (I am leaning toward eventually cave diving some) but I want to hear from someone who has been in the water with the light befor I shell out a bunch for a light.

I am looking at several different LED back ups too because of how long thier burn time is.

Thanks!

I have the GreenForce LED canister light, and love it. I bought it as a backup to my Halcyon 18 w HID (not an in-water backup, but to save the rest of a cave diving weekend if the Halcyon shot craps on a dive).

Now I mostly prefer diving the GreenForce. It is roughly the equivalent of a 10 w HID in the water, but with better penetration. It is also much lighter and so much less fragile!

I would definitely recommend it over a 10 w HID. I do still prefer the 18 w HID for dives in crystal clear water with unlimited viz, and when I'm diving with my favorite buds and don't have to worry about someone with little respect for gear tripping over or knocking off a ledge my fragile HID.

If I were doing it all over again, I would start with the GF LED, and then later consider upgrading just the light head to a brighter HID, since the entire GF line is modular and you can mix and match all their components.

theskull

I just bought a Greenforce HD 50 with a 10 watt bulb. Ok...I took it into a dark part of one of the wrecks I dive. I used a backup to get me back there. I turned the backup off. Imagine standing in the middle of a football stadium at night and then turning the stadium lights on....Hope that gives you some indication of how great the Greenforce is. The price is steep but it was well worth it to me. Plus...unlike the other cannisters, you can interchange light heads...A great light.

I've used the GF LED, GF 10w HID, DR 10w HID, and been in the water with the Salvo and Halcyon 18s.

In my opinion the GF LED just doesn't match a good HID in either penetration, or beam focus. Their Diamond backup is very nice though.

Check out Deep Outdoors. They came out with two L.E.D.'s that are superior to the GF. You can take apart the whole light underwater and reassemble underwater with no issues. I had the pleasure of testing it because my buddy works for the owner, very cool light. But if you really want a GF talk to Joel at www.techdivinglimited.com as he has been diving them forever! Personally I own a 35w 15.6amp and 21w 9.6amp Salvo light and wouldn't dive anything else.

Last year my buddy and I did a test in a cave in Mexico. We took turns shining my diverite MR11 and his hid greenforce tristar LED to see which was brighter. My light was ever so slightly brighter and focused but after replacing 5 HID bulbs I was convinced. This year I brought a greenforce LED to Mexico and it has worked flawlessly for a year now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom