Greece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chan

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all!

I'm new in this forum. My name is Chantal and I was wondering if somebody knows a nice snorkling place in Greece, the Islands. I was thinking about Kreta. I like to snorkle not to dive. I also like to snorkle from the shore not from a boot. Does someone has experience with snorkling at the Greece Islands? It is for the summer. I only snorkels once at Mallorca and I love making underwater pictures.
Thanks in advance!

Chantal

The last time I snorkeled in Greece (Spetsas, Rhodes and Crete) was way back in the 1960s so I'm sure if I could still remember anything it would be of no value to you. Absolutely loved the Greek Islands though, moved to the American equivalent (Catalina) a year later and hope to return to Greece in a year or two to finally SCUBA dive there (all we could do back then was free dive due to the Antiquities Law).

I was diving in Santorini a few months ago. The island is pretty much fished out but there is one protected area called Caldera Beach that is terrific for snorkeling or diving. Contact Navy's Waterworld to arrange it or just try to find Caldera Beach on your own. It was very nice and filled with fish.

Hi Chantal, Welcome to ScubaBoard! I will recommend for you to visit 2 islands in the Dodecanese Kalymnos and Rhodes. Kalymnos is the home of the sponge divers who pride themselves on their free diving skills. Sadly I have not been back for far too long. It is a beautiful smaller island you can get some info from this site. KALYMNOS - Kalymnos - ???????? - ???????? - KalymnosWeb
Rhodes is also nice as well Lindos beach is very nice for snorkeling. In addition to nice beaches for snorkeling lots of great non water sites to see as well like the old city and the castle of St John temples etc.....

When I was a small kid, my family and I were driving around Greece (1966). That was the year that they had a military coup that toppled the USA friendly govt. Not knowing what to expect, we all ducked into a sleepy fishing town of Tolo. The towns folk really looked after us as things settled down. WONDERFUL people. I borrowed a paddleboard and went to s tiny island near the town. I explored it to find a small, ruined greek temple of some sort. I snorkeled around the island ans saw all kinds of archeological goodies like amphora scattered around in the water. It was magical. I doubt it is so "backwoods" now as it was then, but......

Hi!
There are many nice snorkelling spots in Greece. Look for beaches with rocky bottom. Just an example, there is the Anthony Quinn bay in Rhodes, it's a protected but very nice place to snorkel. Here is a photo of it.
I think there are good places in nearly every island. I've been to Rhodes, Kalymnos, Crete, Corfu, so if you tell more about your plans maybe I can give you advices. What to expect? Here is a video what I took in Crete.

Will second the recommendation of Lindos on Rhodes. I camped there (on the roof of a local restaurant for free if we bought a $0.50 meal at the restaurant each day) and snorkeled the bay. I thought it was really beautiful, but have no idea what has happened there in terms of development since the summer of 1968.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom