Greece *OPEN SEAS*

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Argos

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
OK people just got in from Diving, you may say thats nothing new!
I was diving with about 300 other Pro's in an area that was not, up til yesterday 04.02.06, allowed to dive ........

It was a big Party. It started yesterday with the PADI member forum and all the usual ehem.....*things* were talked about as they are on those member forums. ERDP, standards etc, etc, etc.......... Then the assistant to the minister of merchant marine explained to all of us about the new law.

What the new law will mean for Divers: You will be able to dive anywhere EXCEPT those places where it is forbidden to dive. These are: Harbours, shipping lanes, Military instalations, Archelogical areas that have been closed by the Ministry of culture before the 04.02.06.
To dive on your own (without using the services of a Divecenter) you need to go to the Port Police that is responsible for the area you want to dive and tell them you are going to dive at X or Y place. Show them your Dive licence and tell them when you leave the dive area.......This could be a bit sticky to begin with as for sure there will be a lot of searches of cars and boats due to the huge amount of artifacts in the sea. Anybody caught with any artifacts (even a broken piece of pottery) will be most likely heavily fined and imprisoned.......

I sugesst using the services of a LDS and having a care free time on your Diving holidays

There was also a very good friend of mine from the underwater archelogical dept of the Min of Culture there. She explained it from that Ministries point of view about the new law.............There are obviously areas that have not been explored and likely hold an interest for the archeologists. This means that there could be areas (not yet known) that will be closed in the future.

it went on very late and I left early as it became a bit like an Irish Parliment ( Everybody talking and nobody listening. Being Irish I can say that!). It really looks as if there is now a standard that can be taken as law and everybody that fulfils the standards can apply and get a licence for a diveshop / school...........

The ministerial decisions have not yet been signed BUT we were told that would happen within the next couple of days.........We were informed where to get copies of the standards and how to apply for licences as service providers.........So I expect a great deal of business to come to Greece this summer. I will be trying to find investors to open a shop in an area that I personaly know and have dived on the South Side of Crete, albeit illegaly at that time, Lots of things there to see and find..........Virgin Wrecks, unknown areas to be discovered etc, etc, etc........I am at the moment estatic and happy that at long last my dream of 25 yrs looks a lot nearer than it did 1 week ago.........
BTW and FYI the CEN standards are also going to be adopted by ISO which will mean standardisation worldwide as far as diving is concerned.............

Argos

Hi, can you clarify exactly what is possible now?

For example are normal private divers allowed to go off and dive without being attached to a dive school at all?

Are there now any depth restrictions or restrictions on things such as night diving?

Is it likely all wrecks (WWI,WWII, modern etc) are going to be diveable?

Are there maps of which areas are still out of bounds in various parts of the country?

Ive dived Zakynthos quite a few times and although vis is good, conditions about as challenging as a swimming pool its very sterile with a lack of marine life. I cant help thinking a few wrecks if there are any would dramatically improve the area.

String:
Hi, can you clarify exactly what is possible now?

For example are normal private divers allowed to go off and dive without being attached to a dive school at all?

Are there now any depth restrictions or restrictions on things such as night diving?

Is it likely all wrecks (WWI,WWII, modern etc) are going to be diveable?

Are there maps of which areas are still out of bounds in various parts of the country?

Ive dived Zakynthos quite a few times and although vis is good, conditions about as challenging as a swimming pool its very sterile with a lack of marine life. I cant help thinking a few wrecks if there are any would dramatically improve the area.

OK I thought I'd answered your question about private divers in my first post......

There never were offical depth restrictions......... Night Diving will probably only be allowed if your using the services of a Dive Center. I will be trying to get a map of prohibited areas from the Min of Merchant Marine ASAP. Wrecks apart from the archeological type, will require time for me to find out exactly what the situation is......

This sounds like a promising situation.
Abby and I should be in Greece by the end of March.
I have to do a refresher to get all my ducks in a row. Then we need to get Abby through her DM and AI,then even IE and we have a little money saved from our Pub venture. We could be looking at the Crete situation as a possible investment.

As the time gets nearer, I will get in contact with you Dave.
Thanks very much for the PM it was hugely interesting and I have the diving juices starting to flow again.

If there are any startling revelations occurring, then please keep us informed.
I am going to get incontact with an old acquaintence to see if he is still selling his dive school gear

thanks argos for the info... i may get the chance to come over this summer!

Stivo:
thanks argos for the info... i may get the chance to come over this summer!

All I can say is the more the merrier !! Anybody wanting info or such can contact me, either through the PM on the SB board or through the link on my siggy !!
Look forward to seeing as many as possible. If I get a bunch then I can arrange some tours..........:14:

Belushi:
This sounds like a promising situation.
Abby and I should be in Greece by the end of March.
I have to do a refresher to get all my ducks in a row. Then we need to get Abby through her DM and AI,then even IE and we have a little money saved from our Pub venture. We could be looking at the Crete situation as a possible investment.

As the time gets nearer, I will get in contact with you Dave.
Thanks very much for the PM it was hugely interesting and I have the diving juices starting to flow again.

If there are any startling revelations occurring, then please keep us informed.
I am going to get incontact with an old acquaintence to see if he is still selling his dive school gear

I'll be looking forward to hearing from you........

Do you have any recommendations for a good liveaboard or just otherwise recommended dive operators in Greece?

I am also looking for a recommendations for a good islands to head for a diving vacation. Easy and interesting routes for an island hopping?

joha:
Do you have any recommendations for a good liveaboard or just otherwise recommended dive operators in Greece?

I am also looking for a recommendations for a good islands to head for a diving vacation. Easy and interesting routes for an island hopping?

OK, as far as live aboards go ..........There are none (yet).........Recommended dive operators? Depending on the islands you want to visit........The list is too long to put all the Dive Shops from Greece here........ best Diving on the islands...... Crete (South Coast) stay away from the north its not worth it in summer lots of north winds. Agios Nikolaus, Ierapetra, Plakias, Paleochora are Ok.Further afield Rhodos, Kos,Santorini, Paros, Kalymnos,.........
let me know where you want to go and I'll get you a list of respectable Dive ops in the area.......PM or email me.
Not gonna plug my own business here on the forum BUT if you click on my siggy you can find some dive destinations in Crete.........Nuf Said

Hei guys!
I am looking for info about diving in Crete.
I'll be out there only for a week, in a little village in the southern coast called Agia Galini.
I understand that there may be very few resourses around, so I was planning on bringing my own equipment. I would still need a tank, though!
Does anybody have any suggestion on where to go or who to look for?

Argos, I am visiting your website as I speak. I couldn't find anything about the Libian See at mid island.
Can you help at all?

Thanks a lot.
Cheers
Gab

Back
Top Bottom