Greece Diving in February...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alan here again. Yea, I don't think I would bother to carry my dive gear to Greece for the diving that is there. With that being said....as I noted in my previous notes, I lived there for four years and I was diving almost every weekend with a class. I love diving enough that warm clear water is enough. Seeing something would be gravy. I just don't know if I would want to carry all the gear for the quality of the diving.

Another point is that diving is not allowed on all of the islands. If you are planning a trip to a particular island you should go on-line and see if that island has any dive shops. Again, as I pointed out in earlier notes, The "Scuba Police" will confiscate your gear if you are diving in restricted areas.

I hope this helps. the Med is pretty sterile. Since the earlier notes about Athens, I made a trip to Dubrovnik Croatia and the diving was about like Athens and Naples in the '70s. Clear and warm, but nothing to see.

Again, I vote for Sharm. Good diving.

Alan

hello all,
for the record, ... most greek islands now have a dive centre that is open during the summer!
there was a law that you could dive only in some places, however that has changed in 2005, and was made the other way around, you can dive anywhere now apart from distinct areas of natural and archeological preserve. So, yes, you can dive alsmost everywhere without the 'scuba' police taking your gear!
might not be as lively as Sharm but you can still see some interesting wrecks and geological features underwater...

stella

Alan I have to disagree with you. The situation is not what you describe in Greece.
And to put thinks straight I have to say that Euro Bulker is not the only wreck around. Actually Euro Bulker is not in Athens. It is around 1,5 hours by car to go near Euro Bulker + you need a boat to get there.

Do you know how many wrecks near? TOOOOOOO many.
Ok for most of them you need a boat and someone to guide you, but that is why we need the diving centers. And believe me when I say there are a lot.
And to make things clear, I don't own one or something.
I am a recreational diver AOW Padi.

Then you said there is nothing to see if you dive in Athens.

I know we are not Red Sea Sharm El-Sheikh, nor Israel Eilat Bay (Dolphin Bay) but each place has its own unique beauty. I will give you an Idea what I mean. The photos you are going to see below is from Diving in Athens. Limanakia Vouliagmenis (actually the photos is from Limanaki 0 or Labros and 200m on the same road Limanaki 1)
37 48' 28,20''N 23 47' 01,98''E . Check it on Google earth to see where it is.
Those pictures were taken in max depth of 14m (45 feet)
CLICK HERE TO SEE THE PHOTOS
You don't have to know Greek to understand what my buddy Costas is saying but you can see the photos and understand what I mean. And by the way you don't need a boat to get there. You park your car and walk 50m to get to the sea.

If anyone need info about were to dive in Greece please ask me. I will help to get any info needed. And even if it is possible I will dive with you. Or better Email me hutsdiver@hotmail.com . Once again I will repeat that I am a recreational diver, no pro. So every tip is free of charge. :D:D:D:cool3::cool3:

And something about what Stella said that is very correct. You can dive anywhere in Greece now apart from distinct areas of natural and archeological preserve. So, yes, you can dive almost everywhere without the 'scuba' police taking your gear! Coast guard Police is responsible for divers too. So the only thing they check now is if you dive with scuba gear is not to have spear gun with you (it is forbidden from law), and if you have your scuba dive license (eg Padi card), not to take anything from the sea (like seashells etc.) and of course it is forbidden to dive in Archeological preserve areas as we said. And you probably will asked me "How do I know which places are Archeological preserve and so restricted?"
Ask someone who speak Greek to check for you HERE

Thank you for your time.

Sorry for the late reply but i just saw it.

As it seems you have no idea about what is going on in Greece.
After 2006 divers allowed to dive anywere they like to except a few places.
There are many many interesting dives everywere. Islands, Athens and arround, Thessaloniki etc.
Greece is the best upcoming dive destination with nice dive centers and clubs, services, food, sigthseigns, nightlife and more other things that you can 't find in Sarm.
Noone scuba patrol or port police will take your equipment

Dear Alan i think that you were in wrong place

Dear hal9000 and nickre have you ever been in Greece. Did you disapointed? Were have you been?

If someone here needs informations about diving vacations in Greece or informations about the Greek diving law you can ask me for free.
I can sugest you dive clubs anywere in Greece with realy special facilities and services

Thanks

Hi Bottomtimer,
Could you perhaps provide some specific suggestions or guide us towards good LDSs?
Thanks!

Ofcourse but could you please explain me the LDSs? Please. :wink:

In wich area do you prfare?

Well, in my case, I'm going to be in Athens and take a few days off following a meeting, so something reasonably close in. However, if there are spectacular sites farther out that are worth diving, for the purposes of this thread, it would probably make sense to list them, too. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom