Great White

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That guy was amazing whewwww!!!!

riguerin:
There's rumors of a recent sighting near Seal Rock. Milo has been scared to dive Deadman's ever since. He avoids Deadman's like the plague, now. He keeps coming up with these whacked out excuses ... like leaving his dry suit in another car. PUUULEEEEEEEAZE ! :wink:

sharkattack.gif

Are effing kidding me? I mean, we know they are out there....they are ALWAYS out there, but do I really want to KNOW that THERE is someplace I am going to actually BE?

orangelion03:
Are effing kidding me? I mean, we know they are out there....they are ALWAYS out there, but do I really want to KNOW that THERE is someplace I am going to actually BE?

It is also believed that White Sharks are territorial...so this guy might be hangin around while, especially if the food supply is plentiful... :D

Flipper! I was wondering where he'd gotten to...

Thinking out loud:
  • Beautiful!! The motion! the light! the silhouettes! Jaw-dropping beautiful.
  • Calm. These men projected calmness and fluidity in the water.
  • They stayed vertical most of the time when the shark appoached.
    They moved slowly whenever the shark was "looking" their way.
    Even on the surface, they stayed vertical and kept eye contact.
  • Only when the shark had passed did the diver elongate and fin with strength.
  • Once, when two sharks were present, the diver was elongated and finning slightly toward the camera... and away from the shark.
    The shark appeared to immediately tense up and pursue.
    It was silently startling, to me!
    Then the diver stopped and turned smoothly toward the shark while getting more vertical.
    THE SHARK IMMEDIATELY VEERED OFF AND AWAY.
  • The shark barely reacted to the diver touching its dorsal fin. It accelerated away when the diver held the tail fin. It never turned and got aggro. I guess Superman rarely has anyone tug on his cape, and doesn't really care much. Wow!
  • The diver let the shark tow him only a short way and then released it. I think it was essential to stay near the one or two cameramen so that everyone had everyone else's back. They had to know when a shark was approaching so they could assume the safest body posture: Calm and vertical, still or moving toward the shark... never away.
So, what did I learn from this?

There is beauty everywhere. Look. See.

If 'Chica sees a significant shark (the kind with teeth facing forward rather than down at the sand :D )....
  1. I'm going vertical. Rule #6 be damned, I'm going vertical.
  2. I'm moving gently toward the shark and maintaining eye contact.
  3. I'm getting buddy to do the same if possible, and we stick together to constantly scan 360 degrees around.
  4. I'm NEVER going to turn my back and swim away from a shark I see. Never. Especially on the surface.
  5. Get off the surface if possible.
OK.
That was a gorgeous video.
Oceanic Frenchmen Rule. Iron nerves, calmness, beauty, respect. Style :crafty: .

The sharks aren't bad, either.

~~~~
Claudette

HBDiveGirl:
... So, what did I learn from this? (video)

There is beauty everywhere. Look. See.

If 'Chica sees a significant shark (the kind with teeth facing forward rather than down at the sand :D )....
  1. I'm going vertical. Rule #6 be damned, I'm going vertical.
  2. I'm moving gently toward the shark and maintaining eye contact.
  3. I'm getting buddy to do the same if possible, and we stick together to constantly scan 360 degrees around.
  4. I'm NEVER going to turn my back and swim away from a shark I see. Never. Especially on the surface.
  5. Get off the surface if possible.
OK.
That was a gorgeous video.
Oceanic Frenchmen Rule. Iron nerves, calmness, beauty, respect. Style :crafty: .

The sharks aren't bad, either.

~~~~
Claudette

"The sharks aren't bad, either." True. But sometimes they may be hungry!

I too will follow your guidelines with an emphasis on being calm and a rapid surface extraction!

Dave

Good post Claudette....

In my years of Shark Week watching :D I've seen may episodes that confirm alot of what has been mentioned here.

Taking an agressive stance towards the White Shark (any shark for that matter) typicallly makes it more weary of you and causes it to keep it's distance. Like you had mentioned, the diver was persued when retreating, but the shark quickly veered away when the diver came towards it while maintaining eye contact.

I've watched free divers in water before doing this same sort of thing (once again on Shark Week, lol) and they all take the same approach. Never turing their back to the shark, no rapid movements, and knowing when it's time to leave the water.

Also...there is a 99.9% (IMO of course) chance that these sharks have already fed prior to the diver getting in the water with them. BUT, chumming the waters most likely brought these sharks to the location in the first place. Sharks typically hunt and feed for necessity. These Whites seemed more curious of the diver than looking at him for a meal (luckily).

Typically when people are attacked by sharks...they are in the hunt mode, and the victim unfortunately is in the wrong place at the wrong time. Your chances of being attacked are reduced immensely if the shark has already fed. But since sharks are unpredictable in most cases....it still sends a chill up my spine watching videos like the one above... :14:

very interesting, great post chica

I read "The DevilsTeeth" last year, a book about the Farallones, and in it there is a commentary by an old-time urchin diver about his encounters with some of the so-called "sisters": huge female whites that visit the area in the fall-winter. This guy dives solo, with surface supplied air. He's been actually bumped by some sharks... he thinks it's a territorial thing as they sometimes tail-slap each other when hanging around a recent kill. There was also an interview with this gentleman on one of those Shark Week shows...this included some underwater video of the guy working while a huge shark swims by.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom