great white sighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geeeee i wounder if he is PADI Certified to dive Solo ?:popcorn:

:shocked: Does PADI have a Certificate for Solo Hookah Diving or perhaps he would have to go to another agency?:headscratch:

Now I remember the old story about why you should always carry a dive knife.

If you see a shark coming after you, use your knife! But fighting off the shark with it is hopeless - using it to incapacitate your buddy first might let you make it to shore safely...

Well we're back from our week out at Santa Cruz Is. Happy to report no sightings of any great whites. Although we did have a rather harrowing encounter at Fry's harbor with an enormous, incredibly frisky (and possibly horny) harbor seal! He was the FATTEST harbor seal I've ever seen, and he kept swimming right up in our faces, nipping at our fins and masks, and, we think, trying to get amorous with my husband from behind. Charlie thought he was just being friendly, but I was concerned that he was being territorial and aggressive. We ended up thumbing the dive early, because we were worried he might nip at our regs and pull one of them out - not a good thing to happen at 46 fsw in the middle of a kelp forest! We then surface swam to the other side of the harbor, thinking he'd stay on his side, but he obviously followed us over there, and continued his shenanigans. We managed to keep him at arms length and finished the dive, but it was a bit nerve-wracking! I've read of this kind of behavior from harbor seals before, but this was my first experience with it.

Anyway, conditions were good - we were diving in kelp lining the steep walls of the small anchorage, and the vis was maybe 15 ft. PRISTINE environment, and lots of life! Numerous huge bat rays, thick schools of all kinds of fish, and of course our frisky friend. :blinking:

We hit several different achorages around the island, but only dove at Fry's as we only had four tanks with us. We overnighted at Little Scorpion, and would have LOVED to dive there, but we ended up just doing a lot of kayaking around the incredible sea caves.

We overnighted at Little Scorpion, and would have LOVED to dive there, but we ended up just doing a lot of kayaking around the incredible sea caves.

Thanks for the report:wink: I've been to various sites around the Northern / Southern Channel Islands and nowhere come's close for exploring caves via kayak then Scorpion Anchorage. How were the conditions at Scorpion? Flat? Green, Blue water? Surge?

Chicka bow, chicka bow bow!!!

BAHAHAHAHA!!! That cracked me up. I'm still teasing my husband about that incident. Methinks the seal got overly excited when Charlie reached out and rubbed his belly. He went spiraling off in ecstasy (we think - how exactly do you identify seal ecstasy?), and then came back and seemed to be asking for more. :eyebrow:

Thanks for the report:wink: I've been to various sites around the Northern / Southern Channel Islands and nowhere come's close for exploring caves via kayak then Scorpion Anchorage. How were the conditions at Scorpion? Flat? Green, Blue water? Surge?

Scorpion was AWESOME in every way! It was bathwater-flat - the swell was coming from the south, so this end of the island was completely protected. The water looked reasonably clear - probably similar to Fry's, with 15-20 ft vis, but some particulates especially around the kelp beds. Surge was minimal, which is a good thing because I did venture into some pretty shallow caves in the kayak, which I wouldn't have been able to do if there had been any appreciable surge. I wish we'd had more tanks - I'd never been to Scorpion before, so we blew all our air over at Fry's! We were kinda hoping a dive boat would come by and we could beg for fills, but all we saw were a couple of boats delivering kayakers.

We only spent one night at Scorpions. In retrospect we wish we'd stayed two nights, because the next night we headed over to Smugglers on the back side - BIG mistake! The south swell was still in force, although we didn't realize how bad it was until we'd made the boneheaded move of dingying to shore for a hike, and then discovered the waves were too big for us to get back to our boat! We tried launching from the beach, but got swamped and almost sucked out to sea in a rip. It took us two hours to finally be able to get through the surf zone, and we had to carry that heavy dingy over crumbly rocks 1/3 of a mile to the other end of the beach where the waves were breaking closer in, so we were able to paddle past the surf zone during a flat interval. But it was scary for a while - we were thinking we might end up having to spend the night on the deserted beach, cold and soaking wet with no food or water! We were pretty thrilled to get back on our boat, lemme tell ya.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom