Great White Shark Incident @ Catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well.... technically and semantically speaking (er writing), the GWS attacked the kayak and the attack was an incident (defined as an "an event or occurrence") involving a GWS and a kayak. So because I'm sitting here at my desk in my office trying to do LITERALLY ANYTHING other than actual work, I have responded to say that IMHO I believe the OP was semantically correct in his title, "Great White Shark Incident @ Catalina." Although now I am second guessing the appropriateness of the use of the "@" symbol. :):poke:

^^LOL

There is not a category for "Attacks" only "Incidents and Accidents"

IDK if a test bite constitutes a full blown attack, so incident might be the best way I could describe it.

Good thing they cleaned up the brown stains from that kayak before posing for photos.

If you re-read the article, the debated quote seems to have come from Chris Lowe, director of the Shark Lab at Cal State Long Beach.

Bill Powers and Danny McDaniel were the kayakers. Lowe was apparently interviewed to fluff up the article.

Lowe might have made the statement in the context of a larger conversation which changed its meaning. It is an article written by a professional journalist so you can be sure the article has fluff in order to get the most views rather than to present the actual details of the news in question.

Great whites are seen off Catalina with some frequency. There have been several "test bites" or GWS following kayaks and paddleboards. Back around 1977 I was leading a kayak trip around the island and had a ~13 ft GWS follow us for a bit.

In my 50 years on the island, there have been several incidents where a GWS did a "test bite" on a kayak or paddleboard, or followed one. Back around 1977 I had one follow a group of kayakers I was leading around the island. Fortunately there have been no serious injuries in these cases.

When I dive Ship Rock, I always descend quickly after leaving the dive boat so any "lurking" GWS know exactly what I am. Of course I'm surprised they don't interpret my flailing around as a critter in distress!

@drbill
I vividly recall your post several years ago about the time there was a GWS roaming the dive park. All the divers exited the water.
You entered the water to photograph and document a GWS in the dive park

I am just an old broken down tube sucking bubble blowing diver who has lost three friends to GWS,
but I have never personally -- so far a I can recall-- encountered a GWS! And I don't want an encounter

The question is - What precaution did you instigate to create an immunity from a GWS attack ?

SDM

The question is - What precaution did you instigate to create an immunity from a GWS attack? SDM

Sam, I never leave home without my safety equipment!

wooden_spoon_banner.jpg

...Bill Powers and Danny McDaniel were the kayakers....

The news article got the participant's names wrong. The two yakers were Danny McDaniel (whose yak got bitten) and Jon Chambers, not moi (Bill Powers).

I was on shore back at Emerald Bay and did a quick video interview of them both upon their arrival at the beach:
The two were on a 60-member Power Scuba diving & camping trip at Emerald Bay, which I was hosting. The incident occurred ~2-3 miles away in the vicinity of Ship Rock.

I believe the name confusion of some of the news channels originated with the fact I provided some pics and video to the various outlets.

Bill

72461196_10156792417873022_5932013098985586688_o.jpg

72482126_1977511612281070_8069404321164296192_n.jpg

@drbillI am just an old broken down tube sucking bubble blowing diver who has lost three friends to GWS...

Sam, just curious: Were they spearfishing or anything similar when they were taken by GWS?

Bill

@Scuba Lawyer
I knew it was coming ...great cartoons !!!!
You have visited my home ...my only neighbor to the side of me is and attorney
the neighbor to the front of me is an attorney and several more a few homes away from my home
I am surrounded by attorneys - Am I safe?
@Power Scuba
Sam, just curious: Were they spearfishing or anything similar when they were taken by GWS?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill
1) Al Sneppersnoff was spearfishing You can read about his attack in the book the Golden sea -playboy press -- the same location 11 years later Harry Ingram was attacked - he had a loaded spear gun which he fired point blank into the sharks open mouth - the shark closed his mouth amd Harry rode the sharks back you can read about this event in the Last of the blue water hunters by Carlos Eyles

2) Randy Fry was in NorCal diving for Abalone - a shark bit his head off-His body was recovered his head was never found

3) Debbie Franzman was swimming in a wet suit top lost part of her leg and life
I can see the beach were she was attacked from my window

~~A dive buddy and friend the late Jim Stewart, CDO of SIO in SD was in South Pacific was bitten by a Tiger shark lost his Triceps's muscle-- it was documented by his dive buddy also a friend the late Ron Church- SDM published an article on the event-- 2 months later I was at Catalina diving with Jim (~~ Almost all my friend are termed late)

Now the only sharks I encounter are my attorney neighbors and @Scuba Lawyer and the great estimator of Kalfirnia Perch @Jayfarmlaw

Hope this is at least some value to you and others

SAM

PS
I commend you and yours for the dive flag
It is perfect !

So many divers think any ole white stripe diagonally across a red back ground constitutes a divers flag.
Not so ! FYI
The red & white divers flag was created by a two sentence comment in the September 1957 edition of Skin Diver magazine (SDM) by the late Ted Nixon suggesting a flag to ID diving activities.
After 3 years of national and international exchange of ideas via SDM it was determined in 1960 that the flag should have the following proportions in units
~~~~ 5 units wide X 4 units high X a one unit diagonal white stripe ~~~~
(later changed to also to include a square format for ease of manufacture)
Any thing else is just a rag and has no legal value as a representation of diving activity
Bravo for you and your dive flag

SDM

CC
@Marie 13 CE Thars Sharks in SALT Water !

@D_B.... dive flag expert

Attachments

• cdf5ac95ee418790cef5c695d41353ec-jpg.544374.jpg
    cdf5ac95ee418790cef5c695d41353ec-jpg.544374.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 144
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom