Great White Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That must have been an awesome experience, I really would like to see a great white while diving. If it wanted to attack me, I probably would have never seen it coming anyway. :)

and boy, am I glad I didn't.

Last night, we went for a dive near the Malibu pear. About 30 minutes into the dive, I realize that I'm way underweight. I was using a jacket-style BC instead of a b/p and forgot to add 6lbs to make up for the weight of the plate...

I had to leave my buddies and swim on the surface back to the shore. I can't say I was too happy about swimming on my own, at night, from the very end of the pier. I even had to cross underneath it... I kept thinking about the recent shark posts on the board to convince myself that it was going to be okay.

:shark:

Well, no shark in sight (except for a couple of horn sharks UW). But I don't remember ever being so happy to get out of the water...

Arnaud once bubbled...
About 30 minutes into the dive, I realize that I'm way underweight. I was using a jacket-style BC instead of a b/p and forgot to add 6lbs to make up for the weight of the plate... I had to leave my buddies and swim on the surface back to the shore.
Isn't that the part of the dive (as your tank buoyancy starts to lighten) when you start looking for rocks to stuff into your BC pockets? ;-)
I can't say I was too happy about swimming on my own, at night, from the very end of the pier. I even had to cross underneath it... I kept thinking about the recent shark posts on the board to convince myself that it was going to be okay.
Different shark species have different feeding patterns, but I remember looking at statistics once and noting that there had never seemed to be a record of a GWS attack in California on a human at night (well after sunset to well before sunrise -- dusk doesn't count). Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. At least this is what I told myself when I spent all night swimming around on the surface at west end Catalina a year ago this week on a freedive lobstering foray ... (This topic came up on another board, and someone mentioned 'Jaws' ... but that doesn't count either.)

Frank O once bubbled...
Isn't that the part of the dive (as your tank buoyancy starts to lighten) when you start looking for rocks to stuff into your BC pockets? ;-)

There was no rock! We never found the reef ;-0

As for the rest, I have no interest on becoming a statistic :D

You could have pulled a couple of scallops off the pilings, or grabbed the office chair, or the park bench...amazing what you find down there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom