Great White caught off Huntington Pier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Great White Caught Illegally Off Huntington Pier

I'm not sure what is more disturbing- that the shark was caught or that the DFG officer didn't know what it was.

ktla.com

Fishermen Accused of Illegally Catching Great White off Huntington Beach

KTLA News
5:40 AM PDT, August 25, 2011

HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. (KTLA) -- A group of men could face criminal charges after authorities say they illegally reeled in a great white shark from the Huntington Beach pier.

A six-minute video was posted on YouTube, showing anglers struggling to pull the bloodied juvenile great white from the ocean Monday.

The shark, estimated at around 5-feet, was stuck with a rope gaff and was gasping for air.

The shark was later seized by Fish and Game officials after a tip from a bystander.

A warden initially thought the fish was a mako shark and let the men go. The warden caught up with the men after realizing it was a great white.

Authorities have not released the identities of the fishermen.

An investigation has been launched, and officials say the Los Angeles County district attorney's office could decide whether to file criminal charges.

It is a misdemeanor in California to capture or possess a great white shark.

I'd be interested in finding out their citizenship status.

I know its a Great White, but them people who did that [with the grapples] AND the idiots filming it should ALL be fined.

I know thats how its done from a pier but I just think its wrong.

Just my opinion.

:idk:

If the F&G warden misidentified it, isn't it possible the anglers did the same? Of course WE all know what a White Shark looks like, but that doesn't mean everyone else does. Yeah, yeah...ignorance is no excuse but I would add that if the law enforcement officer doesn't know that it's a crime/infraction that should let an UNKNOWING criminal/infractor off of the hook (so to speak). Everyone is always so quick to throw that first stone.

Just out of curiosity, what would have been the appropriate way to release the shark had they known it was a white shark and its protected status?

have one of the brave anglers jump in and cut the line. because there was no brave anglers, just cut the line.

Back
Top Bottom