great white attacks another soupfin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustAddWater:
I just read that the great white at Monterrey Bay Aquarium has killed its second soupfin shark on Tuesday. There is some debate as to the reason for its behavior. I was fortunate to see the female, five footer this past Saturday. Just my observation, but it seemed like a soupfin shark was often shadowing, and bumping the great white. The article also noted that there have been no other attacks on any of the other fish in the million gallon tank, including tuna, bonito, and barracuda.
Hey JustAddWater-did the aquarium ever come up with any idea wht the GW is eating :11ztongue the Soupfin Sharks....I follow shark research closely and I've never heard of that behavior in the wild...Peace...Saildiver

I nearly had a psychic girlfriend , She left me before we met.

saildiver:
Hey JustAddWater-did the aquarium ever come up with any idea wht the GW is eating :11ztongue the Soupfin Sharks....I follow shark research closely and I've never heard of that behavior in the wild...Peace...Saildiver
As a general proposition (i.e., I don't think this is a shark thing especially), you will see a lot of unnatural behavior from predators in captivity. From a little bit of animal caretaker experience a long time ago, I think wild animals in confined spaces can be much more aggressive toward other animals than they would be in the wild where they have room to spread out or chase others away. They don't like being crowded, and I think you need a lot of room for an active shark not to feel crowded. Many react by becoming depressed (e.g., zoo animals) and even wasting away (great whites in captivity generally); this one apparently kept her spirits up, which was unfortunate for the Sweet William.

Stirling:
As a general proposition (i.e., I don't think this is a shark thing especially), you will see a lot of unnatural behavior from predators in captivity. From a little bit of animal caretaker experience a long time ago, I think wild animals in confined spaces can be much more aggressive toward other animals than they would be in the wild where they have room to spread out or chase others away. They don't like being crowded, and I think you need a lot of room for an active shark not to feel crowded. Many react by becoming depressed (e.g., zoo animals) and even wasting away (great whites in captivity generally); this one apparently kept her spirits up, which was unfortunate for the Sweet William.
I figured it would be something like that....Peace...Saildiver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom