Great time snorkeling with manatees in Crystal River!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GR8FUL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This was not the first time I've snorkeled with manatees, but it was the best! It was overcast & light drizzling rain almost the entire time I was there, so there were far fewer people in the water than there probably otherwise would have been.

One morning I came upon a mother & calf--the mother was busy munching on eel grass while the calf was near the surface next to a boat dock. I stopped a few feet away from them and just sat there floating and watching them. Within minutes the calf approached and began investigating me. With his/her mouth it nuzzled various parts of my body. I was floating horizontally in about five feet of water with my hands clasped underneath me, not touching it at all when the calf latched onto one of my arms with it's flippers and began to shower me with manatee kisses--it would nuzzle my ears, neck, chin, mask, and seemingly try to munch on my (longish) hair. It repeatedly rolled over on its back practically begging for me to rub its belly, which of course I obliged, though being careful to avoid the area right underneath its flippers where its nipples are located (evidently they can get "over stimulated"). This went on for maybe 15-20 minutes. Eventually I tried to swim away but the calf was still latched on to one of my arms and wouldn't let go! I didn't want to risk separating the calf from its mother so I actually had to physically extricate my arm from its clasp and then quickly swim away.

Such an amazing experience!! I just wish there would have been some else in the water with me to take pictures! I've done the famous manta night dive in Hawaii, done shark dives, and snorkeled with dozens of whale sharks off of Isla Mujeres in Mexico, and imho snorkeling with manatees is every bit as enjoyable & memorable (and a LOT less expensive!) than all the above.

FYI: While the manatee population definitely increases in the colder winter months, there is a small resident population of permanent (i.e., year round) manatees who never leave the Crystal River area, and your chances of being able to snorkel with them is pretty good regardless of the time of year you visit.

Additionally, due to restoration efforts of Home | Save Crystal River and Home | Kings Bay Restoration Project there is a lot less algae & the overall water quality is much better than it was even just a few years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom