Great spots on oahu?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gearyd87

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm headed to Oahu next week for work while I'm there I'm not passing up the opportunity to get wet! Just looking for some inputs on some good beach diving spots. If I have time I may hop on one of the local charters. Only issue is my buddy who will accompanying me will be fresh out of his OW class so I'm restricted to his limits. Luckily for him he gets to pop his scuba cherry in Hawaii.

look at surf news network for the surf report, west side may be ok if flat, electric beach

If the surf isn't kicking, you can check out Haunama bay; the tram is a nice way to haul the gear. Things are probably too exciting to try near Halona blow hole. North shore is likely a mess now, though there are still occasionally days for it. Along the South side, anywhere you can get out past the reef should work fine - just bring a float and watch out for boats/jet skis/the silent killer canoes and kayaks. Places like Horseshoe, Turtle Canyons, and Kewalo Pipe are all reefs that can be reached from shore with a fair amount of ease. Electric beach is a long drive and presents some challenges despite being a generally easy dive - avoid getting pushed near the exhaust pipes unless you want a fast ride out to sea.

The Waianae/townside/Hawaii Kai wrecks are good dives, though if your buddy is going to abide by the 60' limit they're all too deep I think (YO is around 80, Sea Tiger is 120, Corsair at 105, Mahi at 80, various LCUs at 70-100ish). Maybe there's an LCU somewhere around 60, though.

Definitely drop Gabe at Kaimana a line about possible shore dives/charters. They're good to dive with if you have time for a charter, and can suggest good points for your own shore dives. I'm not sure if they rent gear out for doing your own dives, though. If all you need is tanks/lead, there are a number of places you can rent from... I usually get EAN from Ocean Legends, though they're a bit far out for vacation diving.

Back
Top Bottom