Great news about TPWD Artificial reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wookie

Proud to be a Chaos Muppet
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I had a long talk with Dale Shively of TPWD Artificial Reef Program today. Here is the full story on the Texas Clipper.

Many people including Dale and our own ChairmanTARAC have been working on the Texas Clipper project for many years, but bustin' hump to get it sunk for the last 8. The proposal was sent to MARAD (who owns the ship) to reef the vessel in South Padre as has been previously explained. If the plan is approved, and funding appears, the vessel will go down at South Padre as planned. If any part of the plan falls through, then none of the plan will go forward, as the plan must go through as planned. Otherwise, a new plan must be submitted and the process started from scratch. No one wants to go back and have to re-do 8 years of hard work.

I expressed my concern to Mr. Shively that the reefing of the Clipper might deplete the operating budget for the TPWD program. As background, TPWD Artificial Reef Program gets all of its funding from donations, including from oil companies as they reef used platforms, fishing lobbies, the feds, etc. I told him we (divers) would like a first class artificial reef on the North Coast, perhaps in HI-532, an already permitted reef site, perhaps an aircraft carrier. He explained that there were only 4 aircraft carriers available in the MARAD fleet and avary other state with acoastline wanted them, but the State of Texas already owned the USS Texas (ex-BB-35), which has another hole in the hull. He said that we have a good chance to get the Texas as an artificial reef for the northern coast if we band together to show support. Once again, it is time to write e-mails to TPWD to let them know how you feel. I have been asked to address those letters and comments to dale.shively@tpwd.state.tx.us. I think that it is important also to carbon copy the director of the state park division (who owns the USS Texas). His name is Walter Dabley, and his e-mail is walter.dabney@tpwd.state.tx.us. With enough support, I am sure we can make a world class dive site with this old battlewagon.

I remember visiting the Battleship Texas as a kid. It would be interesting 40 years later to visit it from another vantage point -- underwater! I still hope we can get the Texas Clipper, though, although it would be doubly nice to have both of them.

I will be sending some emails ASAP. Thanks for the information

I would be glad to get behind the USS Texas. I will start sending these email links you gave us to local dive shops and divers in the area. Glad to see we have something positive for the Northcoast of Texas for DIVERS!!!!!

I dunno about reefing the Texas. She's the last of her kind, the dreadnought class of battleship. www.usstexasbb35.com
Too much history there just to sink her IMHO.
I visited the Texas about a year ago, and was really impressed with how well she had beeen restored, both inside and out. The volunteers who maintain the ship have put a tremendous amount of sweat into her. I'd hate to see that throw away. I do know there was some talk about moving her to a dry dock type display. Personally, I'd rather see that done, then to see the ship sunk for the pleasure of a comparatively few people.
Would she make a world class dive site?
Yea, but I believe that she deserves a better fate than that.
Sorry guys, I guess I'll be contacting TPWD with an opposing view.

Yeah, I thought about that, too, Kevin. She still does have quite a bit of tourism value. That in itself might be a spanner in the works. I thought she was already in dry dock, though, a la the Lexington. Maybe I'm getting "decommisioned" and "dry docked" mixed up...

"but the State of Texas already owned the USS Texas (ex-BB-35), which has another hole in the hull."

I guess I didn't realize that this was actually a ship on display. I know very little about ships and their historical vlaue. I saw Divewookie's comment on the "hole in the hull" and I just assumed that this was just another ship and would rather have seen it sunk then get scrapped. My guess is that if there has been so much work put into one ship then this ship would not even be considered for such a product. Does it have "historical landmark" status?
So I thought I would just do a quick check on the internet and guess what i found:

http://www.usstexasbb35.com/restoration_projects.htm

Looks like it is still being restored and will continue to be restored. This wouldn't be an attempt by the TPWD to throw us off the track would it?

Here is my favorite part:

" If it was not for the help the volunteers receive from TPWD staff the FTV efforts would Not be possible"

Why would the TPWD even suggest this project if they are already supporting the restoration efforts?

Just a small hijack...kinda....

They sure could help with their funding if they would get behind the License plate program. There are ALOT of divers, and fisherman alike, that would love to have a sport specific plate. We already have deer, fresh water fish, and horned toads, why not saltwater fish and dive flags??:06:

hijack over

I believe that funding issues are why Florida got the Oriskany and Texas did not, correct me if that is wrong. Texas (TPWD), with proper funding, could bid and win, decomm'ed ships to bring to our waters for reefing. In my opinion we should save our historically significant vessels and look at what the USN and others have that are, and have been, mothballed for years and of virtually no use for anything other than scrap or reefing.

TPWD needs to raise some cash, then go shopping. Don't take something that we are spending State moneys to restore, then propose putting it down as a reef. That is a sure fire way NOT to get people behind your program.

Doesn't Florida already have license plates dedicated to scuba diving?

humanphibian:
In my opinion we should save our historically significant vessels and look at what the USN and others have that are, and have been, mothballed for years and of virtually no use for anything other than scrap or reefing.

TPWD needs to raise some cash, then go shopping. Don't take something that we are spending State moneys to restore, then propose putting it down as a reef. That is a sure fire way NOT to get people behind your program.
I agree wholeheartedly. I would hate to see the Texas scrapped. I think it is a Texas Treasure. That said, if it was going to be scrapped I would want to see it in Texas waters.

Willie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom