Great Lakes: The best way to dive them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Munising is a pretty good rec dive area and most dives are in the sheltered bay. I have some buddies who rented a pontoon for some of the dives. Pictured Rocks National Park is a must for some off gassing time. We expect a trip report.

Yes. I have been wanting to dive that place for a while now but since it is on the Canadian side it may be a trip on its own. Just a question. Besides Tobermory, are there any other great dives in Lake Superior from the Canadian side?

Just to be clear, Tobermory isn't in Lake Superior... It's in Lake Huron. Lake Superior is a ways away from there. On the southern side of Lake Huron, (which is I suppose the eastern side technically, there are a few wrecks like the Wexford. Across the lake, on the US side you have the Sanilac/Port Huron/Alpena triumverate...

In the far SE corner of Georgian Bay, there is the Pentanquishene area with a number of shallow, warm water wrecks.

Just by way of a word of caution... the distance you are planning on travelling is immense. For several years, I have tried to take a trip around JUST Lake Huron, with a side trip to Whitefish Bay in Lake Superior. My plan (loosely) was start in Tobermory (where I have a place, so skip diving there) up to the Northwind in the North Channel, across to Whitefish to dive the Mathers, Osborne and others, then down to the Straits of Makinaw where there are lots of great wrecks (Eber Ward, Cedarville etc.), down to Alpena for a few dives (Spangler, Windiate etc.), then Port Huron (Dunderberg etc.) and then around and back up to Tobermory. I figured that little trip would take me two weeks to do the dives I want... and I have my own boat! Many of these wrecks are deeper than 130', but there are many, many wrecks in shallower depths.

Also, don't underestimate how cold the water will be. Below about 70', the water temp will probably never be warmer than 42F, and could drop into the mid-30s. This is not wetsuit territory IMHO.

I should add that I have yet to make it... I always get blown out somewhere along the way...

Just to be clear, Tobermory isn't in Lake Superior... It's in Lake Huron. Lake Superior is a ways away from there. On the southern side of Lake Huron, (which is I suppose the eastern side technically, there are a few wrecks like the Wexford. Across the lake, on the US side you have the Sanilac/Port Huron/Alpena triumverate...

In the far SE corner of Georgian Bay, there is the Pentanquishene area with a number of shallow, warm water wrecks.

Just by way of a word of caution... the distance you are planning on travelling is immense. For several years, I have tried to take a trip around JUST Lake Huron, with a side trip to Whitefish Bay in Lake Superior. My plan (loosely) was start in Tobermory (where I have a place, so skip diving there) up to the Northwind in the North Channel, across to Whitefish to dive the Mathers, Osborne and others, then down to the Straits of Makinaw where there are lots of great wrecks (Eber Ward, Cedarville etc.), down to Alpena for a few dives (Spangler, Windiate etc.), then Port Huron (Dunderberg etc.) and then around and back up to Tobermory. I figured that little trip would take me two weeks to do the dives I want... and I have my own boat! Many of these wrecks are deeper than 130', but there are many, many wrecks in shallower depths.

Also, don't underestimate how cold the water will be. Below about 70', the water temp will probably never be warmer than 42F, and could drop into the mid-30s. This is not wetsuit territory IMHO.

I should add that I have yet to make it... I always get blown out somewhere along the way...

Yes I understand the Tobermory / Lake Huron location. I was thinking about driving West from the Canadian side all the way to Lake Superior and then coming back from the American side. That is where the Lake Superior mention came from. I am also beginning to realize that the distance is a lot to cover. I am now thinking about breaking this into several road trips. Since you are experienced in diving and driving in that area, I will be open to suggestions and if you would like to join in it would be a pleasure.

Cold water does not bother me because I dive dry.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2013 at 10:13 AM ----------

BTW ... does anyone ever do ice-dives in the Great Lakes?

BTW ... does anyone ever do ice-dives in the Great Lakes?

All of the ice diving I know of, and there is alot of it in the region, occurs on inland lakes. The ice on the Great Lakes is just too dynamic to safely ice dive on the GLs themselves. However, I'm far from an expert. Hopefully others in the region can chime in. There is alot of ice diving on inland lakes in MI, WI, and MN during Jan-Mar, that much I know for sure.

Yes we do dive the big lakes in the winter. When Lake Erie freezes thick, you can do dozens of wrecks by snowmobile and sled. Lake St.Clair and the St. Clair river is fun. Most boats are put away for the winter because harbors and launches freeze up so it's difficult to get into the open lake. Ice chunks damage the boat also boat owners don't want lines in their boats freezing up either.

Sounds like a great journey. Consider starting north of Kingston in Brockville, Ontario. It is about one hour north and all reports are that it is a better dive site.

Maybe it is getting better, but the St. Lawrence River is nightmareish in regard to border issues in the recent past (post-911). The Canadian Charters will not do US side wrecks, and the US Charters will not do Canadian wrecks (this was an issue with a group trip out of my LDS last summer). Really limits things. It used to be so much easier..... diving is still awesome there, just a hassle.

Rumor has it that it may be changing though :dancingsnoopy:

We were there two years ago. We stayed at Craigers near Brockville (Canadian side) and they took us over to dive some wrecks on the American side. We had to stop at American Customs on some island (can't remember the name) before we dove and then we had to stay on the dive boat and wait for Canadian Customs to clear us before we could return to our rooms after diving. One of the divers in our group had a DUI conviction (in the U.S.) from fifteen years ago and they made him pick up his passport at the bridge to New York and drive back through the U.S. which added three to four hours to their trip back home.

Better talk to the minnow about where to get fills when passing through the U.P. After Whitefish it is very had to get an air fill, Pete Lindquist in Munising is about it. The shop in Marquette has closed. On the other hand the U.P. is camping nirvana. Copper Harbor and the Porky Pine Mountains are a must see. Nothing beats the Presque Isle camp grounds, heated showers every morning an evening but no electricit, a plus in my book. Get the campsite on the bluff looking west toward the Apostle Islands. I had a lady come in who found a 150 lb geode while shore diving off Copper Harbor. You will have to wheel and deal to get a boat up there.

---------- Post added April 16th, 2013 at 12:17 AM ----------

FWIW Bring an inflatable if you can and a hand held GPS.

If you go up the North Shore in Minnesota, the best shore dive is the Madeira. You'll have to stop and get the combo to the gate, and a State Park pass.

Split Rock Lighthouse

The lot is spacious on weekdays and reserved for divers only. (hence the gate combo)
6409_1082725948230_1234715_n.jpg

The trail down to the lake isn't to tough but you might want to carry the tank down before you suit up. There is a swim out to the wreck then but it isn't too bad, or you could take a direction and hit the bottom.

This looks farther than it is.

5028_1081242831153_1788647_n.jpg

---------- Post added April 6th, 2013 at 10:19 AM ----------

And some pics here. Madeira Shipwreck - Photographs

I second the Madeira. There are tons of wrecks in the lakes, and this is a cool one. It's probably the most dove wreck in the MN. 400 + foot steel ship that crashed up against gold rock during a winter storm. The story says the crew made an amazing escape and survived! Depth varies from shallow down to about 110 where the wheelhouse is. Vis is good even at depth. Like Hockeynut said, call ahead and get the gate code. Another one in the area is the "Hesper." Although not as interesting to me it's accessible from shore and lies in about 40 feet. It's a wooden ship that ran aground and is in pieces. Some areas of the decking are still intact. A short surface swim to a marker buoy will get you there.

http://www.scubacenter.com/wreckdiving.htm

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.

Back
Top Bottom