Great Lakes: The best way to dive them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you go up the North Shore in Minnesota, the best shore dive is the Madeira. You'll have to stop and get the combo to the gate, and a State Park pass.

Split Rock Lighthouse

The lot is spacious on weekdays and reserved for divers only. (hence the gate combo)
6409_1082725948230_1234715_n.jpg

The trail down to the lake isn't to tough but you might want to carry the tank down before you suit up. There is a swim out to the wreck then but it isn't too bad, or you could take a direction and hit the bottom.

This looks farther than it is.

5028_1081242831153_1788647_n.jpg

---------- Post added April 6th, 2013 at 10:19 AM ----------

And some pics here. Madeira Shipwreck - Photographs

nice parking job.......:fail:

Yes. I have been wanting to dive that place for a while now but since it is on the Canadian side it may be a trip on its own. Just a question. Besides Tobermory, are there any other great dives in Lake Superior from the Canadian side?

I would really consider starting at Kingston, Ontario. Great dives, awesome town to visit. Then go west in Canada on up to Tobemory. There is a car ferry there that goes up north and then go over to the Straits or Whitefish point. The ferry takes semi tractor trailers, so rv should be no problem. Tobe is like a step back in time for a diving adventure. Not to be missed.

North Shore of Lake Superior has some great tech dives, but recreationally your best bet would be the northern Georgian Bay area near Detour and North Channel. A very large and shallow concentration of shipwrecks lie there. Most of them can be done by shore dives. Very beautiful and remote place.

Great! I am in the process of marking all these places on the map. Can anyone tell me how often do these places get blown out due to bad weather? I tend to think Great Lakes as ahem "Lakes" but you have to shake yourself to remember that these are fresh water oceans more than "Lakes."

Alpena and the Straits of Mackinac are pretty sheltered by their geography although in the straits, it can act as a wind tunnel. Also in the straits, just because it is calm on the surface does not mean the current isn't roaring beneath you. The others are out in the open lake so you will have to take a chance on that. June-late August is the calmest time of the year.

Thanks a lot for the info folks. This is what the initial route is looking like:

Stop # 1: Clayton NY / Kingston Ontario
Stop # 2: Rochester NY (Pultneyville)
Stop # 3: Barcelona NY
Stop # 4 :Lexington MI.

Since I will be driving on the American side, I was wondering if there are any good dives in Lake Erie from Cleveland, Toledo and Detroit? There is a lot of road between Stop # 3 and Stop # 4 so is there a dive worth stopping for in those areas or should I continue to drive from Barcelona NY to Lexington MI?

Thanks so much for all this info.

Lake Erie is not my expertise if you are looking for a charter. If you like drift diving and collecting artifacts, the St. Clair river is the place you want to stop. Marine City and Algonac have many artifacts, while Port Huron is where you will have a good drift dive.

Thanks a lot for the info folks. This is what the initial route is looking like:

Stop # 1: Clayton NY / Kingston Ontario
Stop # 2: Rochester NY (Pultneyville)
Stop # 3: Barcelona NY
Stop # 4 :Lexington MI.

Since I will be driving on the American side, I was wondering if there are any good dives in Lake Erie from Cleveland, Toledo and Detroit? There is a lot of road between Stop # 3 and Stop # 4 so is there a dive worth stopping for in those areas or should I continue to drive from Barcelona NY to Lexington MI?

Thanks so much for all this info.

You really need to get Cris Kohl's book...... The chapters covering the sections of the lakes (Erie, for example), also have advertising for shops/charters in the areas. Using that, I think if you asked pointed questions about wrecks in the specific areas, you might gain some perspective.

I live in West Michigan. There's a few really nice wrecks scattered throughout the coastline, from snorkel depth to 130' (and beyond). That being said, I would suggest going down the Wisconsin side and hitting up Milwaukee and a few other spots where the wrecks are more concentrated.

As others suggested, Alpena and Port Sanilac are must see locations in Lake Huron. Brunos dive shop runs a phenomenal operation in the area. The straits of Mackinaw are great, and so is Tobermory. I would suggest Larry at Straights Scuba for Mackinaw.

Also +1 more for Cris Kohl's book.

Sent during my 10' deco stop

You really need to get Cris Kohl's book...... The chapters covering the sections of the lakes (Erie, for example), also have advertising for shops/charters in the areas. Using that, I think if you asked pointed questions about wrecks in the specific areas, you might gain some perspective.

Yap! Ordered. On its way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom