Great Lakes road trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain, I think you under-estimate the extent of Great Lakes diving. You could dive a lifetime, and not come close to doing it justice.

Captain, I think you under-estimate the extent of Great Lakes diving. You could dive a lifetime, and not come close to doing it justice.

I regret I can only like this once! :)

Not at all. After looking at some pictures and the preservation of those wrecks, I would rank some Great Lakes dives to be in the same league as these high profile wreck destinations like Truuk etc. I totally see myself dedicating a huge chunk of my diving in your neighborhood particularly.

Care to meet up for some wreck dives? Show me what you are talking about :dance:

Did you do the road trip? Did you manage to find trips on weekdays?

My gf wants to do a road trip in the U.S. or Canada or both. I wonder if it is a good idea to plan like a day or 10 for diving and another 10 to explore the stuff above water.

It will be in 2020 at the earliest so we still have time to prepare but can you like show up in the morning and expect to have room on a boat or do you have to reserve spots months upfront?

I can imagine there are less tourists then on the tropic destinations but are there tourists or is it all local divers?

Did you do the road trip? Did you manage to find trips on weekdays?

My gf wants to do a road trip in the U.S. or Canada or both. I wonder if it is a good idea to plan like a day or 10 for diving and another 10 to explore the stuff above water.

It will be in 2020 at the earliest so we still have time to prepare but can you like show up in the morning and expect to have room on a boat or do you have to reserve spots months upfront?

I can imagine there are less tourists then on the tropic destinations but are there tourists or is it all local divers?
@Tribal Just speaking for my part of Lake Erie, you definitely want to reserve in advance. On bigger boats this may be less of an issue, but I'd always call ahead regardless. Also keep in mind the size of the area when you are doing a road trip. You are not going to see everything in the Great Lakes basin, but you can hit some of the high points. You could spend a week just in Tobermory and not see everything just as a diver, so I suggest picking the things you really want to see and do and connecting the dots. Finally, July and August are prime months for diving around here, so you want to come around then.

@Tribal Just speaking for my part of Lake Erie, you definitely want to reserve in advance. On bigger boats this may be less of an issue, but I'd always call ahead regardless. Also keep in mind the size of the area when you are doing a road trip. You are not going to see everything in the Great Lakes basin, but you can hit some of the high points. You could spend a week just in Tobermory and not see everything just as a diver, so I suggest picking the things you really want to see and do and connecting the dots. Finally, July and August are prime months for diving around here, so you want to come around then.

Ty for the info.
I will Search for some books about the history of some of the wrecks, the hard part will be eliminating so many nice wrecks due to no time to do them all :)

Just keep this in mind:

You could dive a lifetime, and not come close to doing it justice.

My 30+ years of being certified, and have dove the Thousand Islands, Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, Lake Huron, and Georgian Bay, yet haven't scratched the surface for the wrecks there. Haven't even gotten to the West end of Erie...

So much to see....

LOL Ya... Some friends over Lake Michigan way are always bugging me to go over there. Great Diving.

Years ago, I made several trips up to Whitefish Bay... amazing diving. The Samuel Mathers may well be my favorite wreck of all time.

So much water, so little time. Now I have more time, but no money. Soon I'll be out of time.

I never should have started diving. :(

Back
Top Bottom