Great diving today!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hepcat62

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I drove down to N. Monastery this morning to meet up with my DM instructor, one of his regular buddies, and a classmate. It was absolutely gorgeous - great vis, blue water, LOTS of life. The highlight was happening upon a sleeping (or so it seemed) pacific angel shark. The swell unfortunately picked up pretty significantly during our second dive, so the exit there was a little bit "exciting". I lost a fin, but fortunately another group found it in the surf while we were packing up. All's well that ends well! :D

Anybody else run into great conditions today?

Totally agree, Great diving today. 2 shore dives in Carmel. Dramatic underwater topography.

Sure did! Dove S Monastery and first dive was awesome - great viz and lots of life; even saw a leopard shark cruising around in the shallows close to shore. Conditions deteriorated quickly and just as you, we ran into quite surgy conditions and some waves making the exit more interesting on our second dive (viz was around 45 during the first dive and around 25 for the second)...

I was at Breakwater and conditions there were good too, a billion classes were there, but the water quality was really good (for breakwater). I seem to have lost my buddy for this afternoon so I may not be coming for that night dive I was thinking about. Waiting to hear from fishdiver.

conditions were great this weekend. We dove on Flintstones, The Pinnacle of Tremendous Proportion, and then a quick stop at Aumentos.

The current at the surface down to about 40feet was very strong, but at depth 80-90 it was pretty quiet and clear. We had probably 40, 60, and then 25 feet vis on the dives. I'll post pics in another thread.

BW today wasn't as nice as everyone said it was yesterday. Only about 5' vis where I was. But it was still a day in the water.

Fishdiver and I did a night dive at the BW wall last night, conditions were much murkier than Saturday, didn't see any bat rays or octopi (bummer!) but did see a strange fish, it was yellow, hiding behind a rock, about 7" long, it had a strange fin on the top of its head, almost like a horn but larger (about 6-7 spikes long) and then it's dorsal fin was a long, unbroken fin down the back to the tail, almost like an eel.
I've looked through pictures and it may be some sort of a blennie, but I couldn't find any blennies that really looked like what we saw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom