Great dive at Whaler's Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hararilior

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We had a great time at Point Lobos today.

I met Ken around 10Am and we were in the water after a quick introduction.

I was a little out of luck today, the list of mishaps includes: dropping my weights (on the surace), strobe won't fire, and sky rocketing air consumption... not my usual self but non of these could ruined this great dive.

The surge was so low you could notice how still the water are, just stepping in to the water, visibility was great!! althought the water were freezing (which may have led to my heavy breathing).

First thing we noticed was a school of Moon Jellys, we so many more of them during the dive itself. Then ken noticed a Leopard shark resting on the bottom , that's my first and I was very excited, we scared it off but we saw another one (or perhaps the same one ) after a few more minutes. we took a few pictures of it, and it ran away, Ken started swimming again and got ahead of me, and then in the thick Kelp I could see the shark swimming right back at me, no way of telling Ken, so I just snapped the picture, great timing!! , picture came out smirred (cause it was moving) but I had him right in the frame :)

We noticed lots of rockfish which I can't name and some nudies, I told Ken about my love for Nudies and he found a real big one for me (maybe 10cm long.. wow). Towards the end I was realy cold, my computer said 11C (51F) but I suspect it simply can't go any lower, to my great shame (being a DM) I had to tell Ken I am down to my reserve... Ohh well we saw a shrak !!

Enjoy the pictures, if anyone's interested I am looking for a buddy any day of the week.
Cheers,

Lior

Attachments

• Shark.jpg
    Shark.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 120
  • JewelTop.jpg
    JewelTop.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 84
  • MoonJellies.jpg
    MoonJellies.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Shrimp.jpg
    Shrimp.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 68
  • ShrimpLook.jpg
    ShrimpLook.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 82
  • RainbowSeaStarComp.jpg
    RainbowSeaStarComp.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Anemone.jpg
    Anemone.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 53
  • DecoratorComp.jpg
    DecoratorComp.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 64
  • MoonJelly.jpg
    MoonJelly.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 79
  • RockFish.jpg
    RockFish.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 69
Harari: I am glad to see that you got wet. I wish I could make it down there; too bad work gets in the way. Shark was really nice, the shot of jellies was great - could be a competition winner! And the close up of the shrimp is also great. What set up are you using now?

The vis looks great. You make me jealous. I am desiccating.

Harari: I am glad to see that you got wet. I wish I could make it down there; too bad work gets in the way. Shark was really nice, the shot of jellies was great - could be a competition winner! And the close up of the shrimp is also great. What set up are you using now?

The vis looks great. You make me jealous. I am desiccating.

Thanks Ian, Using the same canon powershot s70. I bought a new small external flash but it actually didn't work during this dive.

I am glad the pics made you jealous, I am waiting for you to break and come down here :)

Those are some excellent shots I especially love the one of the shark im my opinion it came out great !

The Shark photo is great in my opinion too!!
Ill be there on Sat..I hope the conditions hold out!!

Drew

The Shark photo is great in my opinion too!!
Ill be there on Sat..I hope the conditions hold out!!

Drew

Actually checking out the sea conditionsMonterey Sea Conditions at a Glance

Seems like there's a storm coming up friday (either that or they have some software glich there). I Think tommorow is your last chance this week of a quite day before things start to swell up again.

You know, I noticed that too. Then again about two or three weeks ago I noticed the chart doing the same thing and yet the bay was not only totally diveable, but great vis and conditions were reported from almost all people.

Guess we will see in a few days.

Wow,

Just amazing on the shark pic and the way you tell the story; it came at you through the kelp. Makes me want to sit down with a coke and some popcorn just amazing.

Congrats..

Mike

p.s
By the way what type of wetsuit or drysuit did you have on where you got so cold at 51 degrees? How long and deep did you go on the dive you felt cold. The reason I ask is that I dove on Sunday and after 62 minutes on a 2nd dive I got really cold at 54 degrees only went down about 40 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom