Great day at Airport Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK... let's see if I can cover some of the details requested here:

1. we were between 1st & 2nd reefs at Airport -- ~25' of water.

2. there were three dolphins (appeared to be family -- one adult, one teenager, and one youngun') They would hang with us for a while, then head off, then within a minute or two be back with us.

3. We're not sure what they were doing with the halameda -- it seemed they wanted a little salad to wash down their lunch with... because it was definitely being consumed. Then they decided to play "toss the grass" :)

I'm told they really enjoy razorfish -- the ones that dive into the sand at the slightest disturbance... so sometimes the dolphins will dig for them.

It was a phenomenal dive -- we spent about 20-30 minutes just hanging out with the dolphins. They came close enough to touch, and they really were not concerned about us (on open-circuit scuba), the snorkelers above, nor the Subalert sounds... in fact, they seemed attracted by them (or curious at least).

I know how you guys feel,

The intel I have dug up indicates that the big one (female - Mark's pictures show the mammary slits) is a retired Navy (Marine?) suicide bomber. She was stationed at Kaneohe Bay but funding was cut for her unit and she was put out to pasture. Among other things, she knows how to push the purge button on second stages (making bubbles) and when she lays down she's probably offering to give rides.

My encounter with this group was this spring outside Ulua (~58ft) on a scooter dive with 2 newly certified students (friends). I was using the low battery squeeky prop scooter, and kicking a lot. After getting to the oasis rock my friends directed my attention back to my scooter, where the big dolphin was prone alongside (first picture).

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/steveshalemano/album?.dir=/b28fscd&.src=ph

I was task overloaded, with 2 brand new divers, 3 scooters, 3 cameras and 3 dolphins. My first thoughts were, "your not sick or dieing I hope?" After a little concerned carressing, she got up and swam around us (maybe to say "I'm OK" -picture 5), then practically laid back down on another scooter (6 & 7). The medium and small dolphins were not as docile, but remained close to their leader.

My friends were running low on air, so we mounted up and headed back. Only after putting the pictures on the computer did we see the obvious offer of a ride (picture 3).

I'm still waiting for a second chance to go for a ride.

Is this group of dolphins seasonal or are they around on a regular basis?

20 days and counting and it would be tremendous to see them.

This is the first time I've heard of dolphins at airport beach, which is where I do most of my diving. Hopefully they come back as I'd like to see them :D

halemano:
I know how you guys feel,

.......where the big dolphin was prone alongside (first picture).

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/steveshalemano/album?.dir=/b28fscd&.src=ph

..........I'm still waiting for a second chance to go for a ride.

Halemano,
I've tried this link on two different computers and I get an error on both:
"The File You Are Looking For Is Inaccessible"
"Please sign in and try again or check with the owner of the file."

I have a Yahoo account but ????? I was hoping someone else would mention this.
I can access your main page @ http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/steveshalemano/my_photos

Any ideas?
Mark

Very cool! what do you think he found so interesting about the scooter? I always heard they flee from divers...is this pod used to divers?

I wasn't kidding, she is ex-military from what I here. I think she's been trained to tow divers and she was saying "try me"!

Back
Top Bottom