Gray Market and Your Opinion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not for online sales according to Oceanic:

Authorized Dealer Locator - Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba and Snorkeling Gear, Scuba and Snorkeling Equipment and Dive Gear

Though they are an authorized retail seller now, which must be new, they were not on there last summer as far as I can remember.

That is a question of semantics, who would know if you brought it from the store or online from LP. It is still warrantied, the lp sails slip will not say online sale,

LP is an authorize dealer for Cressi, Oceanic and Aeris. Like it was stated earlier LP is the largest mover of scuba equipment worldwide. Like it or not, the scuba equipment company need them to keep their sales numbers. I was in the store the other day, there were visitors from the UK and Russia, call home to ask what model of equipment they wanted and what the price was. We are in a global economy, and lp seems to have taken the bull by the horns is the business model. When AQ has that message on their website, it is an acknowledgment of the global reach of LP on their bottom line.

I am not a fan of price fixing policy that alot of scuba company uses, especially since alot of their stuff are made oversea's in south east asia. If the product was made in the USA, I would pay more for it. It like if you are buying a BMW 5 series and up. They are only made in Germany, so they are at premium. But the 3 series, they do not command as large premium because they are made in Carolina's and are not affected by the cost induced by the low dollar to euro rate and high price of labor. So too should scuba equipment made in asia cost less, but some companies still try to keep the same high cost while the cost of production remains low for them. This is a capitalist country, the make should drive price not the companies.

We all will pay more for the brand we are loyal to, but 100% more then gray market seems a little silly.

Well LP may now be an authorized dealer, but I'd still rather buy from scubatoys.com since they are an authorized retailer of everything they sell, offer free parts for life on anything you but from them, and are above all, great people to work with.

Did I mention that they will match anyone's price, gray market or not?

And no, they don't sell cressi, but to be honest, I've never seen a cressi reg before. I see lots of Oceanic regs though.

With ST matching the price of any gray market retailer, I would say that there is no reason to buy gray market if you can get it through ST.

Interesting that LP is authorized for online sales by Aeris, but not for online sales by Oceanic (I just checked). Those are basically the same company, aren't they?

Interesting that LP is authorized for online sales by Aeris, but not for online sales by Oceanic (I just checked). Those are basically the same company, aren't they?

Yes they are the same company, they shear office space, and the technical support guys handle both lines

Well LP may now be an authorized dealer, but I'd still rather buy from scubatoys.com since they are an authorized retailer of everything they sell, offer free parts for life on anything you but from them, and are above all, great people to work with.

Did I mention that they will match anyone's price, gray market or not?

And no, they don't sell cressi, but to be honest, I've never seen a cressi reg before. I see lots of Oceanic regs though.

With ST matching the price of any gray market retailer, I would say that there is no reason to buy gray market if you can get it through ST.

I have brought things from ST also. It comes down to a choice of personal preference. LP and ST have great customer service. LP just have a bigger selection on products. Both company have good business models.

It would be interesting to find out where LP gets it's merchandise that it's not an authorized dealer for. The manufacturer doesn't care, they're the biggest mover of their product. Do they have to have fronts to buy or is it shipped directly from the manufacturer to LP.

I agree, its probably just from wholesalers though alot of manufacturers don't sell direct

I agree, its probably just from wholesalers though alot of manufacturers don't sell direct

That's probably it. I can't figure out where these folks get their info that it's used or LDS castoffs

I have brought things from ST also. It comes down to a choice of personal preference. LP and ST have great customer service. LP just have a bigger selection on products. Both company have good business models.
I guess it may depend if you are there in person, when I have called LP by phone they have sounded like I was wasting their time and just wanted to be done with me. ST was either able to answer my question, put me on hold to ask someone else, or took my info and called me when they had the answer, being courteous the whole time.

I guess it may depend if you are there in person, when I have called LP by phone they have sounded like I was wasting their time and just wanted to be done with me. ST was either able to answer my question, put me on hold to ask someone else, or took my info and called me when they had the answer, being courteous the whole time.

I would agree with that, LP is a large operation. I have dealt with brett LP guy that post here. He is helpful. But when I go, I generally deal with the same the store manager. He has always been helpful. I have brought allot of gear from him. Remember LP is in NYC. New Yorkers are always in a hurry. My wife always want me to slow down when we take a walk in the park. It just in the blood when you from here, get it done and get it done fast.

I have lived in Texas where ST is. It is allot more mellow down there. Slower pace of life. :wink:

I would agree with that, LP is a large operation. I have dealt with brett LP guy that post here. He is helpful. But when I go, I generally deal with the same the store manager. He has always been helpful. I have brought allot of gear from him. Remember LP is in NYC. New Yorkers are always in a hurry. My wife always want me to slow down when we take a walk in the park. It just in the blood when you from here, get it done and get it done fast.

I have lived in Texas where ST is. It is allot more mellow down there. Slower pace of life. :wink:

I'd like to check out their store...where exactly is it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom