gratuity breakdown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opalobsidian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On our last dive trip there was a question whether or not our DM was sharing the tip we gave him at the end of each day with the rest of the crew.:shakehead: That made us wonder if, in the future we should tip seperately.

So if there were 2 of us diving twice daily, and the tip was $20, would it be right to give $10 to the crew and $10 to the DM?

I think on every boat you'll find it's done a different way.

Typically the captain is paid. Deckhands on dive or fishing boats work for tips (or mostly for tips).

Remember that Deckhands may or may not be DiveMasters and DiveMasters may or may not be Deckhands. Just all depends on the boat and if they need a dive-master. Of course some 6-packs are just the captain with no crew or dive-masters at all.

I usually tip the crew and in addition I will give a seperate tip to a deckhand or DM that went above and beyond.

did you ask the DM???

cheers

Yes we did, and he said he would share it, BUT when we mentioned it later to the owner he said he was pretty sure that the tip had not been shared.

So in the future why not cut out all guess work?

Yes we did, and he said he would share it, BUT when we mentioned it later to the owner he said he was pretty sure that the tip had not been shared.

So in the future why not cut out all guess work?

ahhhh - well in that case unless there is a locked tips box i would think that not sharing tips happens quite alot

cheers

If the Cpt of the boat is also the owner who already charged you for the 2 tank dive, do you just tip the mate?

If the Cpt of the boat is also the owner who already charged you for the 2 tank dive, do you just tip the mate?

In cases like that, I just tip the mates typically. (where capt is owner).

if it's just the captain and you get great service, nothing wrong with tipping the capt either.

If I'm on a 6 pack that the captain is paid (but not the owner), and give great service, then I tip them too.

To me, if you get great service, it is enough to justify/warrant a tip.

Back
Top Bottom