gratuity breakdown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So is there a difference in tipping when there is a tip bucket? I have seen a lot of that - but my question would be who that tip $ is intended for?

If the Cpt of the boat is also the owner who already charged you for the 2 tank dive, do you just tip the mate?

I suspect most everyone has a system set to insure everyone gets their fair share. From what I've seen, some owners are taking an even split, but I suspect most give the bulk or all of their portion of the tips to the crew.

Probably the only situation where tips are not fairly divided among the crew would be from those who are last day tippers and the crew hasn't been the same, and even that usually evens out over time.

Wow......I'm glad I read this before going on my first boat trip tomorrow morning. I didn't know anything about tipping. Guess I'll ask some questions when I show up about their procedure. Thanks!

I always ask the captian what's typical and customary on their boat. Of course beyond the customary, if someone goes way beyond the call of duty then I'll tip them directly no matter what their job is. I'm a firm believer in gratuity - do a stellar job for me and I'll always take care of ya...

Ive always seen a tip jar where the boat crew, meaning everyone split it up amongst themselves. Guess you could ask if not sure. I travel all over the world all the time for work and I always ask the bar tender if its common to tip or if its rude, because some places its rude. My point is if your in doubt just ask.

Back
Top Bottom