Grass Lake NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tavi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
This weekend, my wife, son, and I dove Grass Lake. It's near Alexandria Bay in New York State. One of my sons friends has a cottage there.One of the neighbors lost a boat motor in 28 ffw and we were hoping to recover it for him.
Our first dive was going to be to check out the conditions. The surface temp was 72f. We had brought 5/3 fullsuits and reef gloves, I had a beanie, but none of us had hoods. As we descended the vis was gray-green 4-5 ft. Debbielou and Paul were uncomfortable not having any visual reference points so we went down near the shore. Almost vertical with occasional big rocks and parts of trees, but we could see something (besides our hands in front of our faces).After getting comfortable with the conditions, we took a small boat out and dropped an anchor line for ascending and descending. From 15 to 20 ft the vis went from gray-green to inky black and the temp went from 72f to cacacacacacold. Debbielou stopped at 24ft.Paul stopped a little lower. I continued down(we could still see each others lights). at 32ft it was so Icy cold I didn't even stay long enough for the temp to register on my computer(but I'd still like to know)Debbielou's divewatch registered 52f at 24ft.The rest of our time diving we stayed at 15ft or less where the temps were comfortable.This is a great place to practice navigation.

The boat motor?....maybe next time.

Lessons learned:
It may be a shallow lake, It might also be spring fed :cold:.
Backup lights don't throw much light in these conditions.
I'm glad I haven't bought a 7mm wetsuit yet. I'm seriously considering a Drysuit.

Debbielou bought her BC and regs just before the trip. She is happy with both. These decisions have been months in the making. I'll let her tell you what she bought in another thread, But I'm glad that she's got her own gear now and is happy with it.

Tavi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom