Granthall tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xdjio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,

Mid June a friend (he's Revid Abucs here) and I are going to dive the Granthall. As I have never been before - anything particularly interesting to be aware of? Is that ferrocement sailboat hull worth seeing at all?

Thanks!

The site overall is worth checking out, not one specific thing. Drop down by the first white buoy and follow the firehose around. Just remember to not swim all the way back along it, otherwise you could end up in some current or on the ferry docks.

Like Vince said find the fire hose on the bottom around 30-35 ft depending on tide. You will find the hose north/ northeast of the white buoy closest to the boat launch( on the bottom toward the shore from the buoy). Follow the hose North and you will find 2 smaller wrecks you can go around and back to the hose then you will see the I-beam jungle gym where the fire hose ends. The Granthall is just beside(north/northeast) the jungle gym and is only about 55 ft at high tide at the bottom. Just off the bow of the Granthall there is a concrete block artificial reef, a tire reef and if you take a south/southeast heading( 150 degrees ish I think) from there you should end up back at the stairs. Or if you want you can go back the way you came out. The end of the fire hose is tied to one the I beams at the South end of the jungle gym. If you do end up at the end of the hose make a 90 degree left and you will end up at the end of the rock jetty. There is a lot of life at Porteau. Tons of anenomies,crab,shrimp,big ling's, various rockfish,grunt and other sculpins, octopus (seen 3-4 on some dives none on others) The site is pretty well covered in marine life. Have fun. If you have enough gas a 30 degree heading from the middle of the Port side of the Granthall will take you to the Nakaya wreck (near the Nothern most white buoy on the surface)

Look for the toilet with the plumose on the toilet lid. Open the lid, sit on the toilet and have your buddy take a picture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom