Grand Turk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pm3009:
Hi

I've pretty much narrowed my decision for my next Dive trip down to Grand Turk. I've been reading everything I can find on this board for it. Couple more questions.

I can only go on my son's school vacation (so that I can have arrangements for him to be watched while I'm away) either during the end of February or the end of April.
I've read that February is Whale season in T&C....which I'd LOVE to see....but I'm a bit concerned that the water will be pretty cold. It would be the very end of Feb into March. I've read around 74-78 degrees for water temp. Has anyone been at the end of Feb? I chill pretty easily and wear a 3mm suit with a 3 or 5mm vest on top of that.
So, I hate to miss the possibility of seeing whales (LOVE the big stuff), but also don't want to freeze in the water. So is it warming up by the very end of Feb??

Also....I have read that all three dive ops are great. Also read that Sea Eye might be in trouble and weren't doing good. Is that true? If you had to choose one out of the three dive ops...which would it be and why? I really want to be on a boat that takes very small groups, and I've read that all 3 do.

For hotels....we want to be right on the beach. We're looking at the Osprey Hotel and
the Salt Raker Inn. Any experience with these? Are they both on the beach? Any opinions on which is nicer?

And finally.....I'm not interested in Provo because of the looooooooooong boat rides, and don't need all the activity on Provo.... but what about West Caicos and South Caicos ? Which has the BEST diving between GT, West and South??

Thanks so much!!!
Pam

1. Water temps. It rarely gets down to 74 off GT. In late Feb look for scuba temps of 76 plus/minus a degree. Still, you might be more comfortable going the end of April. BTW, the whale trips are snorkel, not scuba.

2. I believe that the Sea Eye report you saw may have been an anomaly. However, you shouldn't be disappointed with either Blue Water or Oasis.

3. IMHO, one of the renovated rooms in the Osprey is a better choice than the older Salt Raker (not right on beach). It's quiet & on the beach. Same owner.

4. As for South Caicos, South Caicos Ocean Haven, which was the only dive op and diver's resort on the island, has been closed for about 2 years now. The island made it so difficult & unpleasant to do business that lovely Bob & Diane, who had the patience of saints, finally threw in the towel. Last I heard they were on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica doing various water-related tourism activities.

The only way to dive it at present is via Salt Cay. Salt Cay Divers will do day trips, which are about 90-minute boat rides over sometimes rough water and very weather-dependent. They also can arrange for stays at the now slightly renovated South Caicos Ocean Haven and provide the boat and DM. Of course all such arrangements require a minimum number of divers, which I believe is about 5. Obviously it's iffy & a hassle.

5. West Caicos has no tourist facilties. It is dived from boats from Provo or the two liveaboards serving the area. There is a large construction project going on now building a marina & pricey housing, but these are incomplete and will be private ownership. It is, however, messing with the vis.

I'd rate the diving, from best on down, South Caicos, Grand Turk, West Caicos.

Responsive?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thanks for the info Doc. You HAVE been everywhere haven't you??!! :)
As for the whales...I thought the Whales migrate through in Feb and March, and you might catch a glimpse of them diving.

Have you been to Curacao? How does GT rate for diving against Curacao?
So far, I've been to Cozumel twice for diving, Roatan, Grand Cayman and Bonaire.

Thanks!!
Pam

DocVikingo:
1. Water temps. It rarely gets down to 74 off GT. In late Feb look for scuba temps of 76 plus/minus a degree. Still, you might be more comfortable going the end of April. BTW, the whale trips are snorkel, not scuba.

2. I believe that the Sea Eye report you saw may have been an anomaly. However, you shouldn't be disappointed with either Blue Water or Oasis.

3. IMHO, one of the renovated rooms in the Osprey is a better choice than the older Salt Raker (not right on beach). It's quiet & on the beach. Same owner.

4. As for South Caicos, South Caicos Ocean Haven, which was the only dive op and diver's resort on the island, has been closed for about 2 years now. The island made it so difficult & unpleasant to do business that lovely Bob & Diane, who had the patience of saints, finally threw in the towel. Last I heard they were on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica doing various water-related tourism activities.

The only way to dive it at present is via Salt Cay. Salt Cay Divers will do day trips, which are about 90-minute boat rides over sometimes rough water and very weather-dependent. They also can arrange for stays at the now slightly renovated South Caicos Ocean Haven and provide the boat and DM. Of course all such arrangements require a minimum number of divers, which I believe is about 5. Obviously it's iffy & a hassle.

5. West Caicos has no tourist facilties. It is dived from boats from Provo or the two liveaboards serving the area. There is a large construction project going on now building a marina & pricey housing, but these are incomplete and will be private ownership. It is, however, messing with the vis.

I'd rate the diving, from best on down, South Caicos, Grand Turk, West Caicos.

Responsive?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Also....how do we get to GT? Do we have to fly into Provo first? (thought I read that there aren't any more direct flights to GT from Miami). Do they have boat and air options or just air? How much and what airlines? Any idea on cost?

Thanks!
Pam

pm3009:
Hi

I've pretty much narrowed my decision for my next Dive trip down to Grand Turk. I've been reading everything I can find on this board for it. Couple more questions.

I can only go on my son's school vacation (so that I can have arrangements for him to be watched while I'm away) either during the end of February or the end of April.
I've read that February is Whale season in T&C....which I'd LOVE to see....but I'm a bit concerned that the water will be pretty cold. It would be the very end of Feb into March. I've read around 74-78 degrees for water temp. Has anyone been at the end of Feb? I chill pretty easily and wear a 3mm suit with a 3 or 5mm vest on top of that.
So, I hate to miss the possibility of seeing whales (LOVE the big stuff), but also don't want to freeze in the water. So is it warming up by the very end of Feb??

Also....I have read that all three dive ops are great. Also read that Sea Eye might be in trouble and weren't doing good. Is that true? If you had to choose one out of the three dive ops...which would it be and why? I really want to be on a boat that takes very small groups, and I've read that all 3 do.

For hotels....we want to be right on the beach. We're looking at the Osprey Hotel and
the Salt Raker Inn. Any experience with these? Are they both on the beach? Any opinions on which is nicer?

And finally.....I'm not interested in Provo because of the looooooooooong boat rides, and don't need all the activity on Provo.... but what about West Caicos and South Caicos ? Which has the BEST diving between GT, West and South??

Thanks so much!!!
Pam

Pam I will be leaving in 2 days for a film that we are shooting on GT I will be staying at the Turks Head Inn some of the crew will be at the Salt Raker and even more at the Osprey. I will give you a report when I get back. After talking with my Instructor who also sets up Dive vacations for a living He said Oasis Is the best to dive with and from my pre trip e-mails with Dale there it seems that they are great.. I will once again give you details when I get back. I will be there till Dec 2nd. Yes you have to fly to Provinicals <SP> first then take a small plane to GT. Sky KingAir is the name of the airline we are using. Delta to get out there. They have 2 flight from Atlanta a day I belive to the Provinicals.

Scott

Thanks Scott. I look forward to reading your trip report. HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!! :)
Lucky you!!
Pam

Scottkl:
Pam I will be leaving in 2 days for a film that we are shooting on GT I will be staying at the Turks Head Inn some of the crew will be at the Salt Raker and even more at the Osprey. I will give you a report when I get back. After talking with my Instructor who also sets up Dive vacations for a living He said Oasis Is the best to dive with and from my pre trip e-mails with Dale there it seems that they are great.. I will once again give you details when I get back. I will be there till Dec 2nd. Yes you have to fly to Provinicals <SP> first then take a small plane to GT. Sky KingAir is the name of the airline we are using. Delta to get out there. They have 2 flight from Atlanta a day I belive to the Provinicals.

Scott

Yes, you'll fly into Providenciales (Provo), most likely from Miami (AA), Atlanta (Delta) or Charlotte (US Airways). Can also do Air Jamaica thru Montego Bay, Bahamasair thru Nassau, & some other less efficient routes. AA is considering a run out of Dallas soon & US Airways is slated to start one from Fort Lauderdale in Feb of '05. There are 4 small carriers that make the Provo to GT hop for regular tourists, Air Turks & Caicos, Global Airways, Turks & Caicos Airways & Sky King, with the later IMHO being the nicest, most reliable & most popular. There are no ferry options.

As for the whales, it is very, very unlikely that you'll see them while on scuba. They pass a long way from the GT sites, all of which are quite close to shore.

Certainly I have been to Curacao & I'll be there the week after next (and Provo in Jan). If I wanted remote, undeveloped & quiet, I'd do GT. I'd also rate GT diving, with the exception of shore diving, as better than Curacao.

Hope that this was helpful.

DocVikingo

Yes...you've been a GREAT help Doc!!

Happy Diving!

Pam

DocVikingo:
Yes, you'll fly into Providenciales (Provo), most likely from Miami (AA), Atlanta (Delta) or Charlotte (US Airways). Can also do Air Jamaica thru Montego Bay, Bahamasair thru Nassau, & some other less efficient routes. AA is considering a run out of Dallas soon & US Airways is slated to start one from Fort Lauderdale in Feb of '05. There are 4 small carriers that make the Provo to GT hop for regular tourists, Air Turks & Caicos, Global Airways, Turks & Caicos Airways & Sky King, with the later IMHO being the nicest, most reliable & most popular. There are no ferry options.

As for the whales, it is very, very unlikely that you'll see them while on scuba. They pass a long way from the GT sites, all of which are quite close to shore.

Certainly I have been to Curacao & I'll be there the week after next (and Provo in Jan). If I wanted remote, undeveloped & quiet, I'd do GT. I'd also rate GT diving, with the exception of shore diving, as better than Curacao.

Hope that this was helpful.

DocVikingo

Don't know about the water temp at that time but I would think your 3mil/5mil would be fine.

All 3 dive ops are OK (they actually work with each other and help with filling tanks, etc.) Sea Eye (I think) is the one that acquired a newer and bigger boat in anticipation of getting the business from the cruise ships which were supposed to start calling at Grand Turk. We've always used Mitch Rolling at Blue Water Divers. Usually small groups and, conditions permitting, they pick you up from the beach in front of the Osprey or the Salt Raker.

Jenny, who owned the Salt Raker Inn, sold it and bought the former Kittina and transformed it into the Osprey Beach. Although it's probably still a work-in-progress, the renovated rooms are very nice. IMO, the Osprey is the place to stay and has the best restaurant and bar on the island.

Well we figured the heck with it.....and we went ahead and booked the air and room in Grand Turk. Had to suck it up with the cost of the flights. Had a HECK of a time getting it booked today...Took us hours! Orbitz and Travelocity kept giving us choices of the Skyking flights, but when we went to pay, they said they were unavailable. Told us to start the process over which we did. Then we finally gave up, and booked directly through USAir, and booked the Provo to GT flights separately through their own website, and then found out that Travelocity charged our credit cards for the flights that we weren't able to book. So we're dealing with getting the charges cleared off of our credit cards. Ended up booking air through Interisland instead of Skyking. Skyking's website didn't even list April in their schedule, but March and May were there. Couldn't find any prices listed. InterIsland's website was much easier to use, and they immediately emailed us back and confirmed our reservation. Booked a room at the Osprey and dive package with Blue Water. Can't wait to go!!!

So.....what dive sites on GT are your favorites and "do not miss" sites???

Thanks for everyone's help !!!

Pam

We saved a lot of time by having the dive op book out interisland flights. Make sure you check in immediately when you get into Providenciales. Many of the locals are on stand-by and they will jump the empty seats if you fail to check in timely. Watched it happen to a couple of guys. Also don't count on your big luggage making the flight over that you are on. They will sometimes hold back big bags to evenly disperse weight. All of the locals luggage made it but ours came over that evening. Just make sure that your carry-on has your essentials for the first few hours on island.
My favorite dives were Black Forest and McDonalds. Black Forest has an immense wall over-hang with black coral growing under it. Very unusual to see it that shallow apparently. McDonalds has a nice swim-through that spills out over the wall. You will love Grand Turk for the short boat rides and great diving.

Back
Top Bottom