Grand Turk Trip Report - April 12-19 '06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowwall:
You are welcome. There was a coffee maker and filters in the room, but no coffee or sugar. If I were going back I'd bring some energy bars, oatmeal and possibly ramen. You really won't miss anything by skipping a restaurant meal, and you are out of luck if you want to eat past 9pm - except for pizza delivery from Mookie Pookies (which was surprisingly good). Also, Courtyard Cafe has good breakfasts, but it is on island time, so if you like to sleep in you'll end up missing breakfast unless you bring your own.

Ok, will bring sugar and coffee. Hope there are cups in the room? :) That was helpful info.

I'm on the breakfast plan so that is included. I like to eat a good breakfast before I dive. What restaurant did you like?

There were 2 coffee cups with saucers and two water cups. They give you the first gallon of water, it's $3 a gallon after that.

The only place to get breakfast on Duke Street (the one that runs along the waterfront) is Courtyard Cafe, across the street and a bit towards the dive shop. They have some kind of deal with Osprey since you can charge meals there to your room, so I assume that's where you'll be eating breakfast. The food is good and the owner Nicky is an interesting character. The only thing that kept me from eating all my meals at Courtyard Cafe is that they only serve dinner once or twice a week.

lowwall:
There were 2 coffee cups with saucers and two water cups. They give you the first gallon of water, it's $3 a gallon after that.

The only place to get breakfast on Duke Street (the one that runs along the waterfront) is Courtyard Cafe, across the street and a bit towards the dive shop. They have some kind of deal with Osprey since you can charge meals there to your room, so I assume that's where you'll be eating breakfast. The food is good and the owner Nicky is an interesting character. The only thing that kept me from eating all my meals at Courtyard Cafe is that they only serve dinner once or twice a week.

We have the breakfast plan, which I thought meant we were eating breakfast at the hotel. Did I understand you correctly that I have to go out of the hotel to get breakfast? Isn't there a place IN the hotel to do that? I'm confused.

Can you recommend a place for dinner that you liked? Are there pots in the room that I can use to make soup, packet soup that you recommended I bring? Our unit, like yours, has the kitchenette. I'm assuming I can bring coffee, sugar and packet soup through the customs there?

You said they strickly enfoce the 50 lb per bag rule rule. It's getting harder to go away diving.

pilot fish:
We have the breakfast plan, which I thought meant we were eating breakfast at the hotel. Did I understand you correctly that I have to go out of the hotel to get breakfast? Isn't there a place IN the hotel to do that? I'm confused.

Can you recommend a place for dinner that you liked? Are there pots in the room that I can use to make soup, packet soup that you recommended I bring? Our unit, like yours, has the kitchenette. I'm assuming I can bring coffee, sugar and packet soup through the customs there?

You said they strickly enfoce the 50 lb per bag rule rule. It's getting harder to go away diving.

The hotel restaurant is not open for breakfast. Courtyard Cafe is a half block away and does serve breakfast and you can charge it to your room. So I'd guess they just give you a credit there, but I didn't have any meal plan so can't say for sure.

Our room didn't have a kitchenette, just a coffee maker (which I used to make hot water for tea) and a mini-fridge. No pans either. I was thinking more of those ramen in a bowl things where you just have to add hot water.

You should probably contact the hotel to get definitive answers to these questions.

For dinner, Osprey's restaurant, Secret Garden and Sandtrap are all similar in price and quality. Waters Edge has the same prices and slightly worse food. Pizza from Mookie Pookie is good and they deliver for a fee (they may ask you to call someone else to arrange the delivery). My best dinner was from Courtyard Cafe, but they only serve dinner a couple of times a week. Without a car these are your only choices.

One night we went to the Bohio with a couple who had a truck (they were staying at Island House), the food was better, but far from great and a lot more expensive.

Check with the airline on baggage. Sky King (they do the check-in for Spirit) told up to 2 bags, 50lb. max each. They don't care if the total is under 100, you still can't have more than 50 per bag or you pay an overweight fee.

lowwall:
The hotel restaurant is not open for breakfast. Courtyard Cafe is a half block away and does serve breakfast and you can charge it to your room. So I'd guess they just give you a credit there, but I didn't have any meal plan so can't say for sure.

Our room didn't have a kitchenette, just a coffee maker (which I used to make hot water for tea) and a mini-fridge. No pans either. I was thinking more of those ramen in a bowl things where you just have to add hot water.

You should probably contact the hotel to get definitive answers to these questions.

For dinner, Osprey's restaurant, Secret Garden and Sandtrap are all similar in price and quality. Waters Edge has the same prices and slightly worse food. Pizza from Mookie Pookie is good and they deliver for a fee (they may ask you to call someone else to arrange the delivery). My best dinner was from Courtyard Cafe, but they only serve dinner a couple of times a week. Without a car these are your only choices.

One night we went to the Bohio with a couple who had a truck (they were staying at Island House), the food was better, but far from great and a lot more expensive.

Check with the airline on baggage. Sky King (they do the check-in for Spirit) told up to 2 bags, 50lb. max each. They don't care if the total is under 100, you still can't have more than 50 per bag or you pay an overweight fee.

I am in your debt. You have been most helpful. Thanks. I just hope I can get to breakfast and then diving

lowwall your advice was very accurate. I really enjoyed the hotel and fine diving- did 12 dives. Oasis was a fine dive op. When I get some energy I'll write a trip report.

Piolet Fish: would be very interested in your trip report. We are leaving Friday from Staying at Osprey and diving with Oasis. Will be there till the following Saturday and are scheduled for 3 dives / day.

Gar Whaley:
Piolet Fish: would be very interested in your trip report. We are leaving Friday from Staying at Osprey and diving with Oasis. Will be there till the following Saturday and are scheduled for 3 dives / day.

I'll give more detail in a trip report but let me tell you this much now, you will enjoy the diving there very much and the hotel is fine, very comfortable and quiet -get room away from bar and restaurant. Oasis is a very, very fine dive op. Ask for Dale, owner/ mgr, and she will set you up. Tell her John Pilot Fish sends his very best? Any of the DM's you get wil be fine but if you can, ask for Mackey. You can dive as long as you want, no restriction on bottom time. Easy diving. 6 to 8 divers on a small boat. Hope this much helps.

If you have an specific questions I'd be gald to answer them.

Thanks for posting your experience with Spirt, because we were considering flying with them next time we go to Grand Turk.

Went to Grand Turk the last week of April. That's our 2nd trip there. We were there last year as well. We spent 4 days on Grand Turk, and then flew to Provo and spent 4days there. We just were very unimpressed with Provo. Grace bay is just lined with Mega Huge Resorts....and tons of construction everywhere. After just being on laid-back Grand Turk, it's certainly a shock.

We flew to Provo on USAir. Get to fly first class because we're frequent fliers, so that makes for a nice trip. Then we took Sky King to GT. No problems on the sky king flight at all.

We dove with Mitch of Blue Water Divers on GT. Mitch sure is a character! Dove with him last year as well. I believe he said he wants nothing to do with the Cruise Ship divers, so we noticed no changes at all from last year when we dove with him. Never had more than 6 divers on our boat. Two woman that we dove with last year, never left GT, so it was fun seeing them again. Highlight of our dives in GT ??? DOLPHINS!! Two pairs of Dolphins on one of our dives (saw them underwater, not from the boat). WAY COOL! Didn't see anything big in Provo, which is supposed to have bigger life.

Yes, the restaurants are lacking on GT....but the atmosphere is so relaxed and laid back, that it's not a concern to us.

We also stayed in the Osprey Beach Hotel again. Same room upstairs. We just think it's the best choice. One negative, is that they aren't set up at all for divers. Would be nice if they just set up a rinse tank. The Grand Turk Inn is beautiful, and we'd love to stay there, but I don't see how the boats could pick you up at the short there, because the water seems too rough. They pick us up right on our beach at the Osprey.

Happy Diving!
Pam

Thanks John - well metion your name! My wife has been two times already (stayed and dove with different operations) and loved it. Been trying to get down there before the cruise ships. 2 specifc questions:
1. What was the water temp?
2. How did the cruise ships affect your stay?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom