Grand Turk Trip Report - April 12-19 '06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dived with Oasis in January 2004, just before the high season, and loved every second of it. There would be 4 divers in a boat on average and the only company Blue Water Divers' boat somewhere half a mile off. It was diving heaven in terms of relaxed, solitary diving. Sure the sea life wasn't as amazing as I've seen in the Andaman Sea (although comparable to Cozumel I recall) but I enjoyed what I saw a lot more since I was totally relaxed.

People were warily discussing the nascent cruise industry at the time (saw just one boat during that time and they didn't affect the diving at all) but things have possibly changed. I did enjoy GT more than Provo about a year later that was more rushed and of course had a longer ride out to the dive sites.

scubagal, I wouldn't go so far as to say it sucked. If I had could go back in time and choose between doing the trip and staying home, I'd certainly go - although I would stand there and make sure the TSA guys actually processed my bags before I headed to the gate. OTOH, I think Cozumel is a better choice for comparable cost. The Caymans are a much better diving although they can cost quite a bit more.

I'm also a little worried that I may have spoiled myself by starting with the best spots. But judging by everyone's reports, Bonaire is a must see. My wife did not like the idea of shore diving so she vetoed Bonaire this year, but after our GT trip she said she's ready to give it a try next time.

Good luck in Provo.

lowwall, I am disheartened to hear about your bad trip, especailly since I am headed to Grand Turk in less than 2 weeks. I will also be diving with Oasis, that has me very worried, and I will also be staying at the Osprey Hotel. Was the hotel at least quiet and the beach private? What was the water temp and vis?

I'm flying American into Provo and then Sky King into Grand Turk. Hope I don't see the long delays you mentioned, or lost bags. All the things you mentioned have me greatly worried.

too bad about Sky King - when I used them in 2001 they seemed very professional and on top of things for a small interisland airline, better than some larger Carribean airlines I've seen. I was impressed but maybe I was just lucky (or they've changed.)

Just a reminder, I used Spirit Airlines. Since they don't have their own people on GT, they hired Sky King to act as their representative. I wouldn't be surprised if Sky King treats its direct customers better. Be careful with your baggage weight, they are serious about the 50lb per bag limit.

Water temp was 77-78 (it is really in the Atlantic rather than the Carribbean). My wife and I were fine in a 3mm fullsuit. I tried a 3mm shorty one day and was cold. Visibility was just OK for that part of the world 50'-80' with varying amounts of particulate matter.

Osprey Beach Hotel is nice. We had a very comfortable king size bed. There's an a/c unit, but we mostly left the windows open and slept with the sea breezes (and overhead fan). It's completely quiet except on the 2 nights a week they have live music in the restaurant and even that shuts down pretty early. The beach is right there. I'm not sure what you mean by private. It's right next to the road so anyone could use the beach, but there is no reason for a non-guest to use it as there's a lot more beach than people on this island. I never saw more than 4 people on "our" beach at one time, except when boats were picking up divers.

If you drink tea or coffee, you might want to bring your own. They have a coffee maker and filters in the room, but nothing to put in it and finding groceries on the island can be a real hassle without a car. There is also a mini-fridge and some of the rooms have a microwave (ours didn't).

Here's a picture from our balcony.

I know that Dale @ Oasis is supposed to buy a few new boats to have on hand for the cruise ship clients. I also know that Oasis recently staffed up. Hopefully, there will be more boats for all the people. I am headed down there this weekend so I will be sure and post my findings when I get back. I am so biased though! Alot of those people who live and work there are my friends and I always have a such a great time and my dives..well, maybe I am a lucky diver..almost every creature came out to say hello on each dive..turtles, sharks, dolphins, mantas, barracudas..

It's amazing how much stuff they've already bought to handle the cruise ships. But you can only stretch people so far. Dale seemed very preoccupied the whole time we were there. I run a small business and can imagine what she's going through, trying to ramp up to handle 4 or 5x her old volume.

Pilot_fish. Oasis will get you to the sites and back, just don't expect 5 star service, at least on cruise ship days. Also, even though they "take care of your gear", check that everything is in place and you've got a full tank of air as soon as you get on the boat. On my dives, one guy managed to get into the water with an empty tank and another with untightened tank bands. One other guy caught his empty tank just before he went in. By checking my stuff, I found my integrated weights were left out a couple of times and once my wife got a short fill (2700psi). It was on a second dive and I have better SAC than her so I just swapped tanks.

This was all more of an annoyance than a real problem since I like to check everything anyway, but it was definitely not what I expected from the generally glowing reports here.

Also the DMs seemed to be diving for themselves, they moved so slow most people ended up in front of them. I staying close to them on a few dives, but they (Ty and Mackey) never pointed out anything.

lowwall:
Just a reminder, I used Spirit Airlines. Since they don't have their own people on GT, they hired Sky King to act as their representative. I wouldn't be surprised if Sky King treats its direct customers better. Be careful with your baggage weight, they are serious about the 50lb per bag limit.

Water temp was 77-78 (it is really in the Atlantic rather than the Carribbean). My wife and I were fine in a 3mm fullsuit. I tried a 3mm shorty one day and was cold. Visibility was just OK for that part of the world 50'-80' with varying amounts of particulate matter.

Osprey Beach Hotel is nice. We had a very comfortable king size bed. There's an a/c unit, but we mostly left the windows open and slept with the sea breezes (and overhead fan). It's completely quiet except on the 2 nights a week they have live music in the restaurant and even that shuts down pretty early. The beach is right there. I'm not sure what you mean by private. It's right next to the road so anyone could use the beach, but there is no reason for a non-guest to use it as there's a lot more beach than people on this island. I never saw more than 4 people on "our" beach at one time, except when boats were picking up divers.

If you drink tea or coffee, you might want to bring your own. They have a coffee maker and filters in the room, but nothing to put in it and finding groceries on the island can be a real hassle without a car. There is also a mini-fridge and some of the rooms have a microwave (ours didn't).

Here's a picture from our balcony.

Very helpful info you''ve provided. Thank

I checked with my agent about your experiences and he confirmed that your problem was with Spirit Air, for the reasons you mentioned. Im hoping my trip will not start off like that. Will let you know. Thanks for the pic.

lowwall:
It's amazing how much stuff they've already bought to handle the cruise ships. But you can only stretch people so far. Dale seemed very preoccupied the whole time we were there. I run a small business and can imagine what she's going through, trying to ramp up to handle 4 or 5x her old volume.

Pilot_fish. Oasis will get you to the sites and back, just don't expect 5 star service, at least on cruise ship days. Also, even though they "take care of your gear", check that everything is in place and you've got a full tank of air as soon as you get on the boat. On my dives, one guy managed to get into the water with an empty tank and another with untightened tank bands. One other guy caught his empty tank just before he went in. By checking my stuff, I found my integrated weights were left out a couple of times and once my wife got a short fill (2700psi). It was on a second dive and I have better SAC than her so I just swapped tanks.

This was all more of an annoyance than a real problem since I like to check everything anyway, but it was definitely not what I expected from the generally glowing reports here.

Also the DMs seemed to be diving for themselves, they moved so slow most people ended up in front of them. I staying close to them on a few dives, but they (Ty and Mackey) never pointed out anything.

77/78* sounds like a full 3 mil for me. That is useful to know because I was going to leave that behind and take my 1 mil. Glad to hear the beach at Osprey will not be overrun like it was a Ramone's in Belize. Sounds quiet too.

Is there a coffee maker in the room? I should take my own coffee and sugar?

You have been a big help. Thanks

pilot fish:
Is there a coffee maker in the room? I should take my own coffee and sugar?

You have been a big help. Thanks

You are welcome. There was a coffee maker and filters in the room, but no coffee or sugar. If I were going back I'd bring some energy bars, oatmeal and possibly ramen. You really won't miss anything by skipping a restaurant meal, and you are out of luck if you want to eat past 9pm - except for pizza delivery from Mookie Pookies (which was surprisingly good). Also, Courtyard Cafe has good breakfasts, but it is on island time, so if you like to sleep in you'll end up missing breakfast unless you bring your own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom