Grand Turk or Cozumel for a quick 7 day dive trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMG_20180810_185040_416.jpg

Cool! You guys are going to have a lot of fun. Like I said, from where you are staying, if you'd like to fully enjoy the island rent a car or golf cart, even for a few days. Depending on who you're diving with you can get solid directions to all of these spots, you might even get a ride if you offer to buy lunch! My favorite dinners are always buying fish at the fish market on west road and grilling outside. I'm pretty sure you guys have a bbq at that house, if not, there's definitely one in the common area behind it. Be prepared for the area where you're staying to look a little rough, we lost 4-5 houses on that block in irma (including mine). It's a great neighborhood though and you don't have to worry about anything.

Basically all of the local hole in the wall spots are mainly lunch places. They are awesome, priced fairly and really delicious. If you're going out to eat for a proper dinner you most likely will want to stick to the more established restaurants.

Local Spots (hours and days open are super variable, ask your divemaster):
Doo Doo's ribs (friday and saturday? just like it sounds, amazing ribs and a great local bar. He usually runs out around 4pm so get there early)
Mangos? (honestly not sure its the name) if you ask for the haitian spot up by the hospital they'll know. It's pretty new but the food is amazing. Fried plantains there are great.
Haitian place next to barbies (go there and get the Griot, maybe the best thing on island).
Jamaican food truck: you'll see it on your ride from your house to the dives. solid lunch option.
Dominican Bakery (middle street): the best meat patty's for a dollar you'll ever have. I have lived on these multiple trips when super broke.

All of those spots are probably sketchy looking to most basic folk. Everyone is super nice and the food is fantastic. They definitely are for takeout though and I would plan on waiting up to 40min or so for your food to get cooked and boxed up. Pretty much all lunch/early dinner. Grab a beer and hang out.

Classic GT restaurant/bar Spots:

Sandbar (heaven on earth, best beer with a view): you won't be able to miss it, right down the street from blue water and grand turk diving.

Osprey: great happy hour and solid more upscale food

Saltraker: Amazing bar, also has solid food and the best breakfast on the island

Bohio: its on the north end of the island, great spot for a special dinner/meal (pricey!)

Jacks shack: only open when the cruise ship is in, best jerk chicken on island and really worth going if you like fun.

Turks head inne: solid modern bar and the few places you can get a proper cocktail. Food is ok though a bit pricey.

The Ridge Restaurant: Have not been, very new but looks and sounds like possibly the best fine(ish) dining spot on island outside of bohio. They're growing their own veggies and stuff, pretty cool.

If youre diving with Grand turk diving, Jason and smitty will be happy to point you in the right direction for these spots. With blue water Henry and Kristen might even take you there.

Bars, there are like 30 local bars on island other than what I listed. None are catering to tourists. most are a little sketchy. Many are just called whatever color their painted (blue bar, pink bar etc..) Definitely never been a problem for me but it depends on your level of adventure.

The beach 100 yards from your rental is the greatest beach anywhere. You won't see anyone. Then again, I'm biased. Feel free to yell at the guys pouring concrete at my place to hurry up. DM me if you have specific questions but I figured it would be good to have this info public in case anyone else likes to go off the beaten path when visiting.

PS. if you can cook, think about cooking some dinners. head to the fish market around 430, pick out whatever you want from Cocky (fisherman). I'd personally stay away from parrotfish/barracuda due to ciguatera risk. I try to go with snapper and grunts when available. They'll all be yelling and its a bit intense, just how it is. Have them scale the fish or clean the conch and stop at any of the grocery stores on the way back to your house to grab sides and veggies to grill. Nothing beats a fresh catch in my opinion.
Everything you said was spot on! Thanks for all the info...We loved it! Hated Provo but GT was perfect! There have even been some feelers about potential real estate.

Ha nice! Feel free to DM me with any questions about that, there are some ridiculous deals right now on the island. Apologies for the construction noise, you probably saw my place getting concrete work and our foundation poured (it was one of the brown houses, closer to the beach and around the corner. Going to be elevated and all concrete this time!

GT is one of those places that you either love or hate, I'm glad you guys enjoyed yourselves. Smitty is the zen master of diving in GT, I'm sure it was great to dive with him.

Pro tip: bring Ruby a steak and some blue cheese next time you go and your bar bills at Saltraker will be "discounted". I'm a big fan of staying at Manta House just because its in between there and the sandbar. I got a call last week from a friend that saw a hammerhead on the wall, I've only seen that once down there. The place does seem to be more sharky than when I first started going.

Anyways, glad to help and based on where you stayed and what you did you definitely got a glimpse of the real Grand Turk, not just the tourist side. I'll be down in a few weeks to check on construction, this makes me want to leave today!

Back
Top Bottom