Grand Turk Hotels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi there - i am going to grand turk this december (2006) and want to know if anyone has stayed recently at either the mantahouse or saltraker inn. good places? or is the bohio the place to go? i also looked at the salinas houses which are at the south end of the island. anyone able to comment?

thank you

My vote is for Bohio. We just got back from Bohio 2 weeks ago and absolutely loved it. Their beach is by far the best beach of any hotel on the island and we had a very pleasant experience with their dive op. (only 1 other couple on the dive boat). We did some shore diving and honestly, it was better than any of the boat dives we did. As long as you don't mind kicking out a bit, you can find a decent amount of turtles, rays and nurse sharks before the wall.

Read my full trip report here:

http://70.84.188.178/showthread.php?t=150073

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers!

thank you for letting me know i havent encountered anyone who has stayed at the mantahouse yet. i read your full report. :)

I always stay at Mantahouse. It is really cool and the rooms range from about $75-80 a night. Also, you can charge food and your bar bill from the Sandbar( Katya and Tonya own this as well)
Mantahouse is right across the street from the beach, very close to all Dive ops. And I mean walking distance. Front Street is where all the action is. Stay at Mantahouse.

thank you shangrl. i know that the room isnt the attraction - the diving is, but could you tell me more about the mantahouse - what were the rooms like? is the place well kept up? had hot water when you wanted? - you know - the details. we are mostly looking for sand, peace and quiet and beautiful diving and snorkeling.
thank you :)

the web address is http://www.grandturk-mantahouse.com/
There are three bedrooms for rent inside with a shared bathroom (never a problem..no one ever uses it at same time) and there are two "bungelows" for rent on either side of the house. Go to the website and check it out. It is very well kept..totally quiet and cute...it's a 350 year old home that was restored. Either Katya, Tonya or Deb is always on grounds somewhere. Hot water, no problem. Dive with Oasis or Sea Eye. They are both right next store. Ask for Dale at Oasis or Smitty at Sea Eye. They will hook you up. Both shops are great. The food at the Sandbar is probably the best and you will love Tonya and Katya..so sweet and alot of fun. It is a wonderful place to stay and the beach is beautiful. I just got back from there about a month ago. I've been about 6 times and always stay at Manta. Let me know if you have any other ??

I spent a week at MantaHouse a couple of months ago, stayed in their North Bungalow.

I guess it all depends on your standards and expectations. All things considered I found it roomy and reasonable, we had everything we needed with a full kitchen (fullsize fridge, stove, dishes etc). No issues with basic stuff like hot water or power supply. You have front and rear patios and places to rinse and dry your gear. The ladies running it are friendly,helpful and accommodating, and as noted elsewhere, its very handy to the dive shops and to town.

That all said, its pleasant enough but not "posh" in terms of decor or amenities. There was an extra sleeping spot in an elevated area near the kitchen, but do know that only the bedroom had AC. Of course that is less an issue if you are only using the bdroom, also less of an issue in Dec. We were there in June and I have to confess even with a nice breeze much of the time the rest of the apt could still get a bit toasty. Still its not a bad deal.

I have stayed at both the Saltraker and Osprey, bith are within a stones throw of the Mantahouse. All three are fine places, but be prepared to eal with mice, lizards and ants. The ants love electronics and any food left out. Bohio is great, but be prepared to drive or get cabs to go anywhere else as they are a bit isolated on the north end of the island.

Manta, Saltraker and Osprey are all within walking distance (i.e. a block or two) of all three major dive ops on that island (Blue Water, Oasis and Sea Eye).

Mike

Um....it's a tropical island whose inhabitants usually include mice, lizards and yes, if you leave food out..probably ants. I've never seen any in my room. And I haven't seen any racing across soenone's table in a restaurant. Just don't leave food out, close your door at night and you'll be fine.

I stayed at the Osprey Beach Hotel for 10 days back in April. I was very happy with that choice. Met the sisters who own the Sand Bar and Manta House. My group dove daily w/Oaisis Divers located on the same beachfront street as the hotels and restaurants. Of all of my travels, I enjoyed the Grand Turk the best. The people are incredible. I can't wait to return.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom