Grand Turk Diving & Osprey Beach Hotel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did a search first but didn't find too much in the way of recommendations for Grand Turk diving, and the island itself, or how it is compared to other dive destinations. Would anyone have any current info on that, or has been there latley? I know it's very quiet and remote, which is fine, but was wondering if the diving is good?

Anyone stay at the Osprey Beach Hotel? Read one trip report that gave it high marks. Tentative plans for January 06. Thanks for any help you can give.

My wife and I were on the TCI Agressor II the first week of August. Not diving Grand Turk, but quite a bit around West Caicos and French Cay on the opposite side of the Turks and Caicos Banks. The diving was great! Entirely wall diving. The top of the wall was usually between 50'-80' and then dropped into a 2000'-7000' abyss. Saw lots of Carribbean Reef sharks, nurse sharks, sea turtles, a few eagle rays and many other sea creatures. The coral isn't as colorful or pretty as some place like Fiji, but the sand chutes were pretty amazing and the huge sponges were cool too. TCI was definitely worth the trip.
Afraid I can't help you with the Hotel, but if you want to do a live aboard, the crew of the Agressor are awesome and the Captain was hilarious.

bfree:
My wife and I were on the TCI Agressor II the first week of August. Not diving Grand Turk, but quite a bit around West Caicos and French Cay on the opposite side of the Turks and Caicos Banks. The diving was great! Entirely wall diving. The top of the wall was usually between 50'-80' and then dropped into a 2000'-7000' abyss. Saw lots of Carribbean Reef sharks, nurse sharks, sea turtles, a few eagle rays and many other sea creatures. The coral isn't as colorful or pretty as some place like Fiji, but the sand chutes were pretty amazing and the huge sponges were cool too. TCI was definitely worth the trip.
Afraid I can't help you with the Hotel, but if you want to do a live aboard, the crew of the Agressor are awesome and the Captain was hilarious.

Thanks, bfree. Just spoke to my local dive shop and was told that Grand Turk is better than Turks and Caicos diving, Provo etc. Have no idea if that's accurate. I read that Grand Turk is mostly wall diving. Not sure if that's accurate either.

I'll get my trip report up soon, I promise!! Sort of an update to DocVikingo's detailed report from a few years ago. But go ahead and set up your trip... you won't be sorry!! :)

rpodos:
I'll get my trip report up soon, I promise!! Sort of an update to DocVikingo's detailed report from a few years ago. But go ahead and set up your trip... you won't be sorry!! :)

I'd like to see your report. Thanks. Can you send me a link to Doc Vikingo's report?

Are there places to eat, other than the hotels, that are close by?

pilot fish:
Thanks, bfree. Just spoke to my local dive shop and was told that Grand Turk is better than Turks and Caicos diving, Provo etc. Have no idea if that's accurate. I read that Grand Turk is mostly wall diving. Not sure if that's accurate either.
I would also agree that diving in Grand Turk is better than in Provo. Yes...it is almost entirely wall diving. I thought the diving was quite good and would not hesitate to return. We did Provo,Salt cay,Grand Turk and South Caicos on the same trip and would rate Grand Turk above salt Cay and Provo but not as good as South Caicos. Grand Turk has much more character and ambiance than Provo with some buildings of historical interest. It is pretty laid back with not a lot of night life. It does have some decent restaurants and a couple of bars. We didnt stay at Osprey but did see the facilities and ate at the restuarant there. Food was good and everything else seemed quite nice. It is in a great location within walking distance of most things Grand Turk has to offer the diving tourist. I really enjoyed Grand Turk topside much more than the other islands we visited. Im sure you wont be disappointed.

Tomdive:
I would also agree that diving in Grand Turk is better than in Provo. Yes...it is almost entirely wall diving. I thought the diving was quite good and would not hesitate to return. We did Provo,Salt cay,Grand Turk and South Caicos on the same trip and would rate Grand Turk above salt Cay and Provo but not as good as South Caicos.
When you say "Provo" do you actually mean diving on Provo (definitely not known to be the best diving in the island group) or are you talking about West Caicos where some of the Provo boats go?

I agree South Caicos is the best of them.

Tomdive:
I would also agree that diving in Grand Turk is better than in Provo. Yes...it is almost entirely wall diving. I thought the diving was quite good and would not hesitate to return. We did Provo,Salt cay,Grand Turk and South Caicos on the same trip and would rate Grand Turk above salt Cay and Provo but not as good as South Caicos. Grand Turk has much more character and ambiance than Provo with some buildings of historical interest. It is pretty laid back with not a lot of night life. It does have some decent restaurants and a couple of bars. We didnt stay at Osprey but did see the facilities and ate at the restuarant there. Food was good and everything else seemed quite nice. It is in a great location within walking distance of most things Grand Turk has to offer the diving tourist. I really enjoyed Grand Turk topside much more than the other islands we visited. Im sure you wont be disappointed.

That is so good to hear. My impression is that Grand Turk is quiet, the way Ambergris Caye, Belize is not, let's say, and not crowded. Is that accurate? Glad to hear the diving is good. What place could you compare it to? Thanks for your input, Tom.

Its sort of like Little Cayman. A little bigger maybe but its has that quaint small island feel to it. The diving is literally right at your doorstep.

Tim Ingersoll:
Its sort of like Little Cayman. A little bigger maybe but its has that quaint small island feel to it. The diving is literally right at your doorstep.

That sounds great. Would you comapre the diving to LC too?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom