Question Grand Sea Explorer Radio Call Sign or MMSI or Sat Phone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tursiops

Marine Scientist and Master Instructor (retired)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'll be on the GSE in October. The boat is also called the Sea Serpent Grand.
Anyone know the Radio Call sign or MMSI for the boat? The EV office is not helpful, nor is the Sea Serpent fleet office.
I'd like to track the boat on one of the ship-tracking services, and also set up my personal emergency gear in advance.
The ship claims to have a satellite phone on board; also looking for that number.
Thanks.

The FCCs Universal Licensing System (ULS) will have the radio call sign.
Not that I can find, nor on the ITU list.

Added: Why would the US licensing system have a non-US ship in it?

I'd like to track the boat on one of the ship-tracking services,
In several areas of the world (like Red Sea) it is very common not to activate AIS beacons that can be picked up. That's also why the IMO# & MMSI number won't be published. It is considered a security risk. Sometimes insurance companies will demand it, but in terrorist/unstable/disputed regions they will use private update position reporting very similar to all military craft. Satellite phone number?? They'll relay messages, but No one gives those out.

If you want tracking to be sent back home while on the boat, you can do an Inreach rental for ~$70 from OER.

Back
Top Bottom